School computers losing monitor signal...is this a motherboard or Power Supply issue?

woodcbc

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Our school is running Windows 7 professional on a 4 year old Lenovo machine with AMD A4 APU. We extended our lease contract one year, so our machines are 4 years and 4 months into their use. In the last few months we have had some strange problems with displays. Our typical classroom display set up is a VGA splitter with one side running to and older 4:3 monitor (though one of the computers having issues is using a 16:10 monitor) and the other running to an Epson EX3240 or equivalent projector.

Recently our monitors will not receive signal from the computer on boot up or will lose signal at the windows login screen. The computer powers up with all of the fans running and Hard Drive light on. This problem feels intermittent, although it is not a widespread problem. Some fixes that have restored the monitors are:

1) Unplug one side of the splitter. We have done this on both old and new splitters with the same result. Conclusion, splitters and VGA cables are not the problem.

2) Use a different monitor. Problem recurs. Conclusion monitors are not the problem.

3) Unplug the projector side and then plug back in after boot up. Sometimes this works.

This has been a recurring problem on about 5 of our computers. Some other issues that may or may not be related. I have replaced 3 failed or or failing power supplies (not on any of these 5 computers). Random computers do not initially recognize the keyboard or mouse; when you put them in a different USB outlet they start working again. (actually this has turned the screen back on once after a login screen blanking)

Any help you can give would be appreciated. I am spending too much of my time band-aiding the problem.

Thanks