School Shows Off Webcam Controlling Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

haunted one

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
"Ackerman demonstrates the webcam spying ability: "They don't even realize we are watching," "I always like to mess with them and take a picture,"

I must be terribly mistaken, but is he saying this with.......PRIDE?

G

Ummm, these are school owned laptops being used in school. The school is remotely accessing this laptops to make sure the students are working. The students are not supposed to have this camera application open (as he says they are using it for checking their appearance). So rather then giving them say a detention he orders their computer to take a picture. This is meant to get the students back to work rather then goofing off (which he says works). Why is this a bad thing?

ezodagrom

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Ummm, these are school owned laptops being used in school. The school is remotely accessing this laptops to make sure the students are working. The students are not supposed to have this camera application open (as he says they are using it for checking their appearance). So rather then giving them say a detention he orders their computer to take a picture. This is meant to get the students back to work rather then goofing off (which he says works). Why is this a bad thing?

When they're checking what the students do AT HOME, something is definitely wrong.

If your daughter had one of these laptops and pictures of her in various states of undress appeared on the internet how would you feel about it then?

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ezodagrom[/nom]When they're checking what the students do AT HOME, something is definitely wrong.[/citation]

Sure, but those all looked like not at home to me. You'd go use a real fracking mirror otherwise.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
This means that you're telling me that it isn't just one, but MULTIPLE schools putting MACBOOKS on the PUBLIC BUDGET?!

That's starting to make me angry instead of just thinking it's a huge joke.

Most of it is old news. There were previous reports about it. I want to know what was in the fine print when the laptops were issued to the students? Did parents have to sign anything? Lots of missing information.

It seems they 'forgot' to mention it to the parents.

"I think the school district admits in its own press releases that it was wrong, it shouldn't have been doing this, certainly without some notice, consent, informed consent of the parents that this was something that could be done," attorney Mark Haltzman told KYW News Radio.

Source

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]This means that you're telling me that it isn't just one, but MULTIPLE schools putting MACBOOKS on the PUBLIC BUDGET?!That's starting to make me angry instead of just thinking it's a huge joke.[/citation]
Meanwhile the high school I graduated from 2 years ago *just* upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows 2000 in back 2006. That and the hardware was for the most part exactly the same (computers from 1998 or earlier)

thedreadfather

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]This means that you're telling me that it isn't just one, but MULTIPLE schools putting MACBOOKS on the PUBLIC BUDGET?!That's starting to make me angry instead of just thinking it's a huge joke.[/citation]
At one point my high school ditched the XP based computers (they were showing age) for brand new MacBooks (identical to the ones in the Frontline story) and iMacs all over the school. I thought (and still think) it was silly that they 1) changed their ENTIRE infrastructure to be based on OS X from WinXP, 2) spent obscene amounts of money on the computers, 3) bought computers that were incompatible with ~90-98% of the school's population, and 4) we typically used Citrix to run XP on the computers anyway. Why would you buy MacBooks to run XP?

I remember the army of "Geniuses" who spent their day setting up all of the MacBooks and the hilarity of the teachers when they complained about how slow the computers were (with the whole dock lit up like a Christmas Tree). It was just a big pain for everyone because just when the faculty got used to using their Windows-based laptops, the district thrust them into MacBooks.

This district is not the first, nor the last, to buy MacBooks for their schools.

4trees

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
School officials observing students through webcams is a privacy violation, IF they didn't sign a waiver acknowledging this would be done. Seems like a high court decision is in the future on this.

Increased tech in schools is essential to future education. Yes tax payers are going to gripe about it but the advantages of this exceed the cost. Education=prosperity/health=better living.

I dont particularly like the way Marcus Yam quoted Vice Principal Ackerman. I think his intentions in the video by taking pics of the students was not as voyeuristic as Yam made it out to be. Regardless his taking pics seems unnecessary when he could send an IM telling the kids to stop inappropriate use of the computer.

The webcams should be removed especially if they aren't directly useful from an education perspective. Why not put tape over it?

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
This is a simple problem. Put a square inch of gaffer's tape over the camera. Done.

As far as the news story, the parents' case is getting so much stronger, the school might as well give in.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
This individual is a complete disgrace, even more so as a teacher. Such attitudes are unacceptable.
Even if the big brother/nanny police state will not take any action, it is a gross violation of laws and privacy. Is the next class action lawsuit rolling? He would deserve it wholeheartedly.

jsegrest

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
As a High School Principal, I find the thought of "policing" students at home repugnant. I do not have nor in any way want any authority over a student's actions outside the school boundaries. If they choose to not do homework then when they get to school without it they will face the consequences at school. Can anyone say "parent" or "family" in the USA?

EnFission

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
The use of remote monitoring while in the school IMO is not an invasion of privacy. I am currently a college student going for my BS in computer science, and every single year I've had to sign an Acceptable Use Policy. Stated in said policy it essentially says that while on campus, my account may be monitored for inappropriate/illegal use by means of remote monitoring and logging of network activity (although my school doesn't care if I visit THW/FB/similar sites, they just don't like us going to youtube because of the bandwidth usage).

I do agree that remote monitoring a student while they are not on campus should highly illegal, however from the video you can see the laptop cabinets, so this school locks the laptops up while they are not in use at the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.