Scientist Warns Plasma And LCD Televisions Could Be Destroying Our Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordmetroid

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Need more plasma and LCD displays!
Come'on Cheung, stop pleasing your humongous ego and environmental agenda by posting your environmental fear-mongering.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I have to agree with lordmetroid. Frankly, there is no such thing as global warming. Every single bit of global warming is coming from..... anyone? The Sun. Not from gases like this.

This is just another attempt by the radical envirofreaks (of which I was one until I did some research) to make people go back to the days of the 1800's.

jumpman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
[citation][nom]sajohnson22[/nom]Christopher1 and lordmetroid look up the greenhouse gas effect and tell me they don't have an effect.[/citation]

seriously, to think global warming doesn't happen is just plain ignorance. however, you have to realize that climate change has been happening on this planet for a good 4.5 billion years, and that all we are doing right now is speeding up that process.

And to Christopher1, learn your history. The 1800's were the days of the Industrial Revolution, pollution was horrible during that time. So going back to the 1800's is a step backwards no matter who you ask, as far as this issue is concerned anyways.

babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
[citation][nom]jumpman[/nom]you have to realize that climate change has been happening on this planet for a good 4.5 billion years[/citation]
Well,according to the most accurate history/science book (AKA. The Bible), the earth is only about 6000 years old.

wow ... the responses are retarded. The article is equally bad.

I'll conclude with this:

Breathing could harm the environment! (psst stop breathing!! you're causing global warming!)

Climate change is happening but the climate changes ALL the time. This is nothing new.

educate yourself on global warming by starting with going to www.icecap.us.

[citation][nom]sajohnson22[/nom]Christopher1 and lordmetroid look up the greenhouse gas effect and tell me they don't have an effect.[/citation]

water vapor makes up 97% of the green house gasses in the atmosphere. 3% are methane, co2, nitrogen, etc. C02 makes up a very small fraction of that 3%. Yes water in a gas state is a green house gas.

Green house gases keeps our planet nice and warm (not global warming). without these green house gases the planet would be as cold as -100 degrees Fahrenheit and even colder up north during the night. Because all the heat would escape into space without green house gases. These gases keeps our planet alive. It's not going to kill it.

Again educate yourself by the link I provided.

bobmercer

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Gee the only thing that comes to mind for me when reading this alarming article on my nice 24 inch LCD is “S#*t happens”.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
All the guy is saying is that the gas is harmful and the industry should try to limit emissions. He might be right, if he is it's good to have it pointed out. The more we minimize our footprint on nature the better. I do like my big LCDs though :)

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Okay, at Atomz web site (first one on google when searching for "CO2 exhaled by a human in one year"), you see that for all humans there are about 2.23 gigatons of CO2 per year with about 3 teratons of CO2 currently in the atomosphere. Obviously human exhalation is not a major source of CO2 - only 0.001115% by breathing from the human species. (No account was made for our livestock.)

"CO2 is not a greenhouse gas" - as stated above, it is. Take a few science courses to understand the scientific method (replication, reproducibility, independent verification, prediction) then read up on the evidence supporting CO2 as a greenhouse gas. While your at it, read up on how particulates and albedo of glaciers/ice also influence temperatures.

"Humans devices do not produce enough CO2 to influence global atmospheric concentrations" - again, crack open some books and scientific journals. Heck, read statistical reports from various state DOTs, the EPA, and other governmental agencies. Believe it or not, there are many states where people have to take their cars in to have their emission levels tested - and they record and analyze this data. They use the wonderful mathematical invention of statistics to make accurate predictions. (So add taking a stats course or two to your list.)

"Warming is caused by the sun, thus greenhouse gases don't cause temperature fluctations". Now add taking a course on argumentative composition or logic - or regularly read R. Moody's logical fallacy of the day. Learn that logic arguments like "how can you believe his statement that most US citizens don't save enough money - he's disshevelled, smelly, and an atheist so he can't be right!" are invalid and unsound, as are arguments like "all crows are black birds, therefore the black bird I see must be a crow". The point is this - just because sun spot fluctuations and thus solar radiation fluctuations can cause global temperature variations, not all variations in global temperatures are solely caused by fluctuations in solar activity/radiation.

So, once you actually understand what science is - such as the drastic definition of a theory in science (a hypothesis that has been tested repeatedly over many, many, many replications by independent parties that has yet to be proven false) versus in common speach (a guess) - and have a solid foundation in the sciences required (statistics and other forms of mathematics, chemistry, biology, physics, and logic/argument - and perhaps a bit of policy science), you'll be ready to make sound, valid, and rational arguments.

Until that time, I'll keep believing in greenhouse gases and anthropogenic influences on global greenhouse gas levels, the theory of evolution, and the Universal Theory of Gravity - though I am sure there are those who will tell me the only reason that the book dropped on my foot was because God willed it since I'm one of those wacko SOBs who believes in the scientific method!

Spyhawk

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
But seriously, every time this topic comes up in a convo, unfortunatley many people tend to go into a state of, "Oh come on, it not really that bad" Thes people have no scientific background whatsoever, have never studied the issues seriously, but because the consequenses of global warming are potentially catastophic, they will try to rationlize it in a way to minimize the consequenses, fear factor. Many people do this automatically without knowing it

DeNelo

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
MDillenbeck: You were going along fine, and then came this,
"...though I am sure there are those who will tell me the only reason that the book dropped on my foot was because God willed it since I'm one of those wacko SOBs who believes in the scientific method!"
I resent the notion that if you believe in God, you do not believe in the scientific method. Read a book on logic... :eek:)

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Michael Prather claims nitrogen trifluoride (NF3) gas used in the production of plasma and LCD televisions could be more than 17000 times as powerful as carbon dioxide in heating the atmosphere.
Hey, since when the word "used" has the same meaning as "released into the atmosphere"?! Learn some english, please.

Webmaster T

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
This could be very bad for the environment since everyone in my area is buying LCD Monitors. Scientist must get to work and solve this problem.

G

I don't belive it just disapears. ;-)
The only other option I see is it's used to create some other substance/material/... don't know how to call it - is transformed into some other form (in chemical reaction).

balou

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
First, to martel80:
NF3 is "used IN" and not used FOR the production of the flatsceens.
I'm not English-speaking but I can read.
Mr M. Prather can be right: there are other greenhouse products that have more (proven)negative effects than CO2. If CO2=1 the effect of
CH4 (methane, produced by every living creature...)=23 times as powerfull as CO2.
N2O=269, CF4=5700 - 11900, SF6=22200 times, so I believe that NF3 can have also this bad effect.
I follow the catholic way of life but please don't make me sick with claiming the scientific value of the Bible (or Koran):
"the earth is ABOUT 6000 years old"??? Do you believe still in Santa too ??

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
I believe most people have an agenda.I doub't this guy is any different.
But I do belive there is at least some truth to what he said.How much is a different.

Oh and for the record.......The Earth is way more than 6000 years old.Clearly you didnt read it right.Sorry Bro.

exiled scotsman

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
I hope all you people think back to these comments when the shit begins to hit the fan. When water no longer flows out of your faucet because you didn't take water conservation seriously. I hope you think back when you wonder why you can't buy fish because overfishing and pollution killed most stocks off or why you can no longer afford food at the supermarket because the price of oil is so high. I hope you think back when you hear stories about people being killed in the streets for gas or food or for no reason at all because government has failed you. I hope you think back when the shit hits the fan and wonder why you didn't do anything to try and prevent it. And why now, are you forced to eat the pages of your favorite bible because there is nothing else to eat. Where was the common sense? Yeah, it died a long time ago.

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Exiled scotsman....Yes i do agree with what you've said...A 100%.
One day the bottom will drop out..........and it's in our lifetime.

But I do try and be as positive as I can be.And I do what I can when I can to help our planet.And yes I know 1 person can't make a big difference.....But at least I do try to make a difference.....Thats the difference.

I live where there was very little problems air wize.......none really......But for the past few years the air is getting pretty bad.....Becasue of where I live the air in certian direction come across the sea from a well known country......so that's when the sky is all blue form what ever it is.

IT all about greed and big profits at the end of the day.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
[citation][nom]babybudha[/nom]Well,according to the most accurate history/science book (AKA. The Bible), the earth is only about 6000 years old.[/citation]

Um, what total rubbish. I'll give you that the bible is a history book. However, it's not a science book, nor the most accurate history book ever. Even allowing for the fact that history books are written by the winners, modern day history books are much more accurate simply because they are written by people who lived during the events.

It's interesting that people who claim to believe/follow everything in the bible are so willing to ignore the harsher aspects of it, yet cling to "facts" which are proven wrong again and again. No where in the early versions of the bible is it stated that the Earth is around 6000 years old. This is a total misconception and fabrication by the religious-political powers attempting to maintain and control their financial backing. It's sad how "religious types" are the first to nit-pick what they want to believe vs. believing the whole as science dictates.

Fact: There is no evidence as to the Earth being around 6000 years old in the bible. Third party hearsay doesn't count as evidence.

The bible was compiled from over 300 other texts by a counsil of priests. One of the major factors they used to decide which texts were included was the political and financial impact on their governments. Makes us wonder what was in the other texts that were chucked in the fire.

Most of the bible was written by people who did not even witness what is being written about.

Most of the bible is directly ripped off from older belief stories, but modified to fit the social/political issues of the times. Proof of this is that there are over 50 distinct versions of the "Christian" bible, each with significant variations many of which contradict the other versions.

islseur

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]... Heck, read statistical reports from various state DOTs, the EPA, and other governmental agencies...[/citation]
Hmmm what a wonderful advice...After doing that I have found the government of the united states of America together with the "scientific community" the most manipulating, lying, indoctrinating, brain washing, criminal, murderous, unjust and corrupted entities on the face of the earth.

[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]...Until that time, I'll keep believing in greenhouse gases and anthropogenic influences on global greenhouse gas levels, the theory of evolution, and the Universal Theory of Gravity...[/citation]
Yes. Keep believing in what you have been indoctrinated in the government institutions and please stop being so ridiculously arrogant, boastful, patronizing, snobish and condescending.

And BTW, you wrong. Start getting used to an idea that you can be wrong. Global warming is a political issue to try and force carbon tax on humanity and suck some more blood from the poor by the wealthy, "educated" and "enlightened" fellows that you seem to associate yourself with.

Sad but true.

Good day.

MafiaAce

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Yes CO2 levels do have some influence on climate change as well as earth's average temperature, but they are simply drops in the bucket compared to the real reason earth experiences climate change. Ever read anything about sunspots? All it takes is a couple and we may very well enter the next ice age. Likewise, slight variances in solar radiation as well as changes in earth's electromagnetic field can have a huge influence on the climate of our planet. And CO2 emissions? Negligible in the greater scheme of our solar system.

G

Every time I hear ppl debating about global warming I can't help but think that we are missing the point. I don't really care if global warming is happening or not, I actually care much more about how much we pollute and waste. We need to protect where we live, would you let someone in your family dirty your house or break everything inside of it? I don't think so. Why not do the same for our planet. I think media has a big role in this because when I was younger pollution and recycling were the big issues and most of us agree that those are important, but now it has switch over to global warming which is basicly a different name for the same thing but creates much more confusion and problems... My two cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.