Scientists Create a ''Schizophrenic'' Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagles453809

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
um...this is old news...read this like two weeks ago. step it up toms im tired of reading fox news style bs and articles copied/paste from other tech news sites.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]TheWhiteRose000[/nom]Portal 2 moment."The Greatest Scientists in the world came together to create the worlds dumbest computer."[/citation]

Or in this case, craziest computer.

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
So Skynet is going to command all machines to enslave and destroy humanity... because the leprechaun in the deep end of the sandbox told it to...

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
They can't even make Skynet & why didn't "Watson" make Google go bankrupt? But now they want to make crazy Skynet, instead of just giving the Governator some of that Seroquel that caused Britney to shave her head...

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Yet you took the time to post a useless comment about it. Some of us don't have time to browse through 100's of websites every day.[/citation]

I don't browse through "100's of websites every day", yet I came across this article weeks ago (from somewhere). It's pretty funny how often Tom's Hardware is behind the times.

[citation][nom]serkol[/nom]''Schizophrenic'' Computer = Windows with always-on antivirus. I realized this after switching to a Mac :)[/citation]
Well, now you have an impotent computer. Well done!

[citation][nom]TheWhiteRose000[/nom]Portal 2 moment."The Greatest Scientists in the world came together to create the worlds dumbest computer."[/citation]
Sorry, but schizophrenia is not mental retardation, nor stupidity. Bad analogy.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Repost. The headline is still misleading.

What they actually did was build a computer model that's loosely inspired by a human brain, then were able to observe similar symptoms after changing factors thought to cause the disorder in actual brains.

This is an interesting story, but it's mostly a story about computer modeling and not really about AI.

Sorry guys, but your comments about Skynet and HAL are way off base.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]sseyler[/nom]I don't browse through "100's of websites every day", yet I came across this article weeks ago (from somewhere). It's pretty funny how often Tom's Hardware is behind the times.[/citation]

Its pretty funny how idiots like you post usless crap like this on a post to get attention. Also how for some reason you missed this being posted on toms a week ago. This is the second time i seen this posted here. Why not say something else moronic like does it play crysis ffs.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
[citation][nom]bit_user[/nom]Repost. The headline is still misleading.What they actually did was build a computer model that's loosely inspired by a human brain, then were able to observe similar symptoms after changing factors thought to cause the disorder in actual brains.This is an interesting story, but it's mostly a story about computer modeling and not really about AI.Sorry guys, but your comments about Skynet and HAL are way off base.[/citation]

Have you tried gpugrid or freehal@home? It was the mention of "Watson" that got me so hyped about "bi-polar AI". What's all this fad with getting a human to understand humans better via a machine anyways? I give my PC Alzheimer every time I need to reinstall the thing ;-)

carcharocles_theory

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
People should refrain from talking about bipolar disorder or schizophrenia until they actually know what the disorders are all about. Note that the vast majority of people don't have a clue about either illness. This includes most of the commenters on this article. Also, jokes about the mentally ill fall, in most jurisdictions, under the same category as sexist or racist jokes.

On the article, this is pretty interesting. The more insight into these poorly understood disorders, the better. Especially since so many current anti-psychotics' side effects are so crippling on their own.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
They should just stop wasting time, and pacify Chuck Norris, so that he'll stop creating diseases and disorders for mankind.

Status
Not open for further replies.