Scientists Discover Method to Store Data on DNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
If it's even close to 250K for a workable implementation, I'm sure companies like Google will snatch it up like hotcakes. God knows what someone could do with virtually unlimited and extremely resilient data storage that requires almost no energy to maintain.

h22chen

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
I wonder if they do that to humans, would we have Gouald abilities? That our future generation (children) would also have the data that we possess.

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
[citation][nom]h22chen[/nom]I wonder if they do that to humans, would we have Gouald abilities? That our future generation (children) would also have the data that we possess.[/citation]There's nothing to be done to humans. They're using DNA in a tube to encode digital data. The DNA wouldn't be useful in living cells; it only has meaning when it's sequenced and interpreted by a computer.

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
[citation][nom]457undead[/nom]They state it hold gigabits not gigabytes? Isn't gigabits used in bandwidth? Please correct me if I'm wrong.[/citation]The gigabit is also a measurement of storage (10^9 bits). I don't know for sure why they used the gigabit rather than byte but I would guess it's because the bit is more directly related to the calculation they did for how much DNA needed than the byte (since they're encoding bits in the DNA, not bytes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS