Scientists Made a Virus That Can Charge Your Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinusoid

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
piezoelectric sidewalks, floors, roads, etc. would be awesome. Do it without the virus though. We don't want 'Legend" to happen.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Seems like there'd be a good market in the sex toy industry for this. Lots of "mechanical stress", portable power needed, and latex to prevent viral transmission. Perfect if you ask me.

fatality1515

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
"...have found a way to exploit the harmless kind of organisms that usually make you sick to..."

If it usually makes you sick, it's not harmless is it?

rdzona

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
[citation][nom]curiosul[/nom]Am I the only one noticing this doesn't make sense:"the harmless kind of organisms that usually make you sick"?[/citation]

I saw that too, LOL. You're not the only one, you're just the one out of the 8 people that commented. Wow you're so rare. /sarcasm

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I guess this could be a good explanation for zombies rising from the dead, in the upcoming zombie movies..

Electrical charge keeps them alive, but fries their brain tissue, which is why they have to replenish it :)

:heink:

porkfist

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
I must be missing something. I don't see anything wired to the LCD screen. How does the electrical charge get there?

drakefyre

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
[citation][nom]curiosul[/nom]Am I the only one noticing this doesn't make sense:"the harmless kind of organisms that usually make you sick"?[/citation]

There are harmless kinds of viruses.

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
[citation][nom]Tab54o[/nom]Just because its a VIRUS doesn't mean its compatible with human cells people.[/citation]

You do realize that viruses mutate rather quickly, right? So if it's not compatible with human cell/tissue right now, what makes you think that putting in our day to day devices (so constantly having it around us) wouldn't cause it to mutate?

This has global catastrophe written all over it. I don't know how our best and brightest come up with some of the stupidest ideas.

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I don't see why everyone is complaining. There are things going on in Labs across the world that are hundreds of time more dangerous than this is.

G

I like how people are scared of the word virus, just because of the word virus. Your body is full of harmless viruses, right now. RIGHT. NOW.

Any one of them could mutate into a deadly one, but it never happens. And that's why the xmen aren't real.

Grand_Admiral_K

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
[citation][nom]snowzsan[/nom]You do realize that viruses mutate rather quickly, right? So if it's not compatible with human cell/tissue right now, what makes you think that putting in our day to day devices (so constantly having it around us) wouldn't cause it to mutate?This has global catastrophe written all over it. I don't know how our best and brightest come up with some of the stupidest ideas.[/citation]

I really hope you're just joking around, because that's not necessarily correct. RNA based viruses do have the ability to mutate rather quickly, while DNA based ones cannot. A good example is the flu virus compared to small pox. Small pox is DNA based, so one vaccination lasted a lifetime, while the flu is RNA based and changes very rapidly. Furthermore, a virus isn't just going to mutate to infect humans just because it's in constant contact with them. If that was true, all kinds of viruses that infect plants and bacteria would also mutate in a way to infect us. The only kinds that do that at all are from other mammals (and for reasons I don't quite understand, birds as well).

So, assuming the people that are creating these viruses have even a basic grasp of epidemiology we'll be just fine. So how about a little less doomsaying and a little bit more congratulations for scientists who are on the verge of a breakthrough that could revolutionize portable devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.