News Scientists use whey protein sponges to extract gold from computer parts — the process is 50X less expensive than the cost of gold, eco-friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Co BIY

Splendid
Last edited:

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
This reminds me of how dehydrated cranberry powder curdles the milk in my granola. That's essentially the proteins falling out of solution and bonding to the acidic bits of cranberry. The milk coats the cranberries so thoroughly that you can hardly even taste them.

Also, didn't realize whey was a waste product. You see it as a food ingredient, often enough. I sometimes add whey protein isolate, when I want to increase the protein content of a food. The protein isolate has none of the sugars (e.g. lactose, oligosaccharides). Whey protein is pretty well-matched to human dietary needs, in terms of its amino acid profile.

Mar 3, 2024
Interesting, though the comparison with other processes is not very explicit. The traditional process of extracting gold requires strong acids to dissolve the pcb, later the gold itself (with aqua regia), and get the gold back from solution. If I understand correctly, most of the acid stuff remains "to ionize the metals", only the aqua regia is skipped. How eco-friendly is that? And how does the cost compare? 1/50 of the cost of gold is nice, but how much is the normal process?

Reactions: slightnitpick
Status
Not open for further replies.