[SOLVED] Screen artifacts. Is it my GPU or RAM?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

basarbasar

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
0hqx3ez.jpeg
avjfzNf.jpeg

Hello. First of all, these are my specs:
Ryzen 5 5500
Adata XPG D30 3200Mhz 16GB
Sapphire RX 6700 non-XT Pulse
Gigabyte B450M H UD
WD Green 480GB NVMe
NZXT C650B Bronze PSU
I get artifacts mostly in bios and when booting up. Gpu usage is low in most games. I've also gotten different artifacts like white screen with black lines etc... And i've gotten bsods.
Any help appreciated!

Solution
I'm testing, haven't seen any artifacts while using just one of any of the sticks yet.
I forgot to say this, but all my parts are like 5 days old. So, i can return any of them, I'm just deciding whether i should return my GPU or my RAM first.
Sounds like it is a RAM related problem then, take the stick that you can identify does not work well and have it replaced. Even if it was the GPU, you want zero errors on RAM regardless, so go with that first and then proceed from there.

basarbasar

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
Sounds like it is a RAM related problem then, take the stick that you can identify does not work well and have it replaced. Even if it was the GPU, you want zero errors on RAM regardless, so go with that first and then proceed from there.

When you rma ram, the vendor will want to replace the entire kit since ram must be matched.
They usually ask you to run memtest to document the error.

Possibly, they will arrange an exchange where you buy a replacement and get it credited back when the defective kit is sent back.

Ok, i tested one ram, nothing happened. After installing the other one (the one that got errors), immediately started seeing artifacts while booting. I think its my RAM. I'll return the kit first

Edit: I think i just f'd up. I quickly switched my psu off and on while my computer was on to reboot it, and now gpu fans arent spinning and im not getting any signal. Did i just kill my GPU?

Last edited:

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
Ok, i tested one ram, nothing happened. After installing the other one (the one that got errors), immediately started seeing artifacts while booting. I think its my RAM. I'll return the kit first

Edit: I think i just f'd up. I quickly switched my psu off and on while my computer was on to reboot it, and now gpu fans arent spinning and im not getting any signal. Did i just kill my GPU?
Fully power down the system, unplug, switch PSU off, hold power button for a minute then plug everything in and turn PSU on, attempt to power it back on see if it the GPU starts up

basarbasar

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
Fully power down the system, unplug, switch PSU off, hold power button for a minute then plug everything in and turn PSU on, attempt to power it back on see if it the GPU starts up

Ok! Thanks, that worked, hopefully i didn't damage anything.
What should i do now?
Thanks a lot for helping by the way

Last edited:

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
Ok! Thanks, that worked, hopefully i didn't damage anything.
What should i do now?
Thanks a lot for helping by the way
Go ahead and get that bad stick replaced. You can either return the kit to the seller if there is a 30 day return policy such as Amazon, etc. Or your can RMA the sticks which could take a little longer but manufacturer warranties have no time constraints. You will probably need to return the whole kit, not just the defect stick in order to get a replacement.

basarbasar

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
Go ahead and get that bad stick replaced. You can either return the kit to the seller if there is a 30 day return policy such as Amazon, etc. Or your can RMA the sticks which could take a little longer but manufacturer warranties have no time constraints. You will probably need to return the whole kit, not just the defect stick in order to get a replacement.
Yes, i will. Thank you!!

Reactions: EyyMunchian