[SOLVED] Screen flicker when gaming, video and more information in post - 3080 Ti FE & LG 34GN850-B monitor

takkischitt

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Sorry for the poor video quality, these issues don't show up when using Shadowplay to capture the screen, so I had to hold my GoPro in front of the screen to capture the issues. I've added a screenshot of the flicker after each time it happens so you can see it better. It's more noticable during gameplay, the camera didnt pick it up as bright as it is in real life.

I've been having these graphical issues since I got the 3080 ti Founders Edition at launch, although I got the LG 34gn850-b around the same time, so hard to know which is at fault. Things are fine in Windows 10, but has issues in some games. Mostly it is the flickers/flashes across the screen, these happen several times a minute. Less often, but still quite regularly, the screen just goes black for about 1 second. Sometimes it's worse, sometimes it's better. This footage is from about 10 minutes of gameplay in Sea of Thieves. The LG 34GN850-B is set to 160Hz and G-SYNC is enabled, the game is limited to 144Hz. I have purchased an upgraded DisplayPort cable as I read that it could be caused by the cable not being able to handle the data load, but that was a waste of money as it didn't help. I've tried limiting the game to lower FPS.

CPU: i7-8086K
Graphics Card: Nvidia 3080 Ti Founders Edition FE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3600Mhz
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero
Monitor: LG 34GN850-B

Is this a problem with the graphics card or the monitor?

Solution
Get what you need now, going overboard trying to think what you might need in 5/6 years 1) by then you will need a new PSU just from old age, PSU dont last at their rated power for ever. 2) PSU ATX forum factor may change by then as the new standard is looking at just 12v DC from the PSU then letting the motherboard do the 5v and 3.3v for anything else.

Remember the newer RTX cards will OC themselves as long as they have voltage, amps, and temps within specs. My 2080 ti stated boost is 1755Mhz but actually hits 2130Mhz during gaming.

With those stutters and blackout it could be that the card is seeing all the right conditions to ramp up the OC on the card, your PSU might not be able to handle the quick power demand that the card...
Sorry for the poor video quality, these issues don't show up when using Shadowplay to capture the screen, so I had to hold my GoPro in front of the screen to capture the issues. I've added a screenshot of the flicker after each time it happens so you can see it better. It's more noticable during gameplay, the camera didnt pick it up as bright as it is in real life.

I've been having these graphical issues since I got the 3080 ti Founders Edition at launch, although I got the LG 34gn850-b around the same time, so hard to know which is at fault. Things are fine in Windows 10, but has issues in some games. Mostly it is the flickers/flashes across the screen, these happen several times a minute. Less often, but still quite regularly, the screen just goes black for about 1 second. Sometimes it's worse, sometimes it's better. This footage is from about 10 minutes of gameplay in Sea of Thieves. The LG 34GN850-B is set to 160Hz and G-SYNC is enabled, the game is limited to 144Hz. I have purchased an upgraded DisplayPort cable as I read that it could be caused by the cable not being able to handle the data load, but that was a waste of money as it didn't help. I've tried limiting the game to lower FPS.

CPU: i7-8086K
Graphics Card: Nvidia 3080 Ti Founders Edition FE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3600Mhz
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero
Monitor: LG 34GN850-B

Is this a problem with the graphics card or the monitor?

is your motherboard bios on the latest? try to update to the latest if it's not. Also could you share a gpuz screenshot of your card?

takkischitt

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
is your motherboard bios on the latest? try to update to the latest if it's not. Also could you share a gpuz screenshot of your card?

I've just updated the BIOS. Tested the game. No change. GPU-Z screenshot below.

6cGm4KH.jpg

How long have you had the RM750? Download EVGA precision x1 Link and drop the power limit on the card to see if it fixes it. The 3080 Ti recommends a 750W PSU if your 8086K is overclocked at all you might be running into power issues.

I had the same issues with a GTX 980 FE on a 650w psu, thought the card was going out so i bought my 2080 ti but still had the same issue. Replace PSU with a 750W unit and no more issues. The GTX 980 FE now lives happily in my sister-in-laws computer still gaming away.

Reactions: takkischitt

takkischitt

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I got the RM750 in May this year. I've tried the 8086K with its overclock and without, still the same issues.

I just downloaded EVGA Precision X1 and dropped the power for the card, and holy moly, it seems to have fixed it! I'll def play for a bit more with it running on lower power, just to be sure, but I actually think that it could be a power supply issue. Thank you!

I've started thinking about new PSUs anyway and I'm thinking there wouldn't be much point going for an 850W or something like that, as if I was going to be spending the money on another PSU, I might as well get something that should be fairly future-proofed. So I was having a look at 1200W PSUs, but is that overkill? I'm kinda thinking what might be needed in 5/6 years time...

Get what you need now, going overboard trying to think what you might need in 5/6 years 1) by then you will need a new PSU just from old age, PSU dont last at their rated power for ever. 2) PSU ATX forum factor may change by then as the new standard is looking at just 12v DC from the PSU then letting the motherboard do the 5v and 3.3v for anything else.

Remember the newer RTX cards will OC themselves as long as they have voltage, amps, and temps within specs. My 2080 ti stated boost is 1755Mhz but actually hits 2130Mhz during gaming.

With those stutters and blackout it could be that the card is seeing all the right conditions to ramp up the OC on the card, your PSU might not be able to handle the quick power demand that the card is wanting which is causing the issue.

Solution

takkischitt

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
What sort of wattage would you reckon would be good. I did I bit of testing with various % power levels and it seemed that 80% was giving stable results. I didn't have too much testing time mind you.

takkischitt

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Played longer and was still getting the issues at 80%, although less often. Went to 75% and didn't notice any for the time I was playing. Had to go to 50% in Assassin's Creed Odyssey to stop the flickers.

Last edited:
An 850w should be enough, you could play it safe with a 1000W. Anything over 1000W unless its a good deal is overkill and a waste of money. But i guess it all depends on how much you want to spend and what you feel safe with to make the card happy.

Ive read reviews saying go to a 850W for a 3080/3080 Ti, me personally would go for a 1000w just to make sure, plus i OC and tend to run extra stuff in my system ( multiple HDD, and extra fans)

So i ran across this Link this morining, even in their notes under the Tier A PSU recommend moving past the 850W units and going for a 1000w unit for cards like the 6900xt, 3080/ 3080 ti, and 1200W for 3090.

Last edited:
Reactions: takkischitt