Screen flickering in multiple games when playing fullscreen

LizardKweef

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
Hi all

I've been looking for so long for a solution for this issue but until now I haven't found any...
I tried recording the problem but when I record me playing a game fullscreen that gives me those 'flickers', they aren't visible on the video...

The problem occurs with games such as Watch Dogs, Project Cars, Battlegrounds, Rainbow Six Siege,...

When I play them on my external monitor, not my laptop screen, on fullscreen mode, they give me these weird flickers, like you can see there is something wrong with the quality, like some kind of static, overlayed on the game, making the game look very ugly...

My GPU is a GTX 960M and my monitor is an AOC G2260VWQ6 with Freesync. Both the monitor and the laptop screen are 60Hz, but the weird thing is that I only get the flickering on my monitor, not my laptop screen...

I know this sounds a bit hard to understand, especially because I can't record or screenshot it because it isn't there in the picture or video... I will try to make a picture of it using my phone but I don't know wether you will see it clearly...

I hope someone can help me with this

Thanks

LizardKweef

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017

I tried using 2 different cables but the issue is still there. It is like I can clearly see all pixels in fullscreen. Borderless and windowed are like games with antialiasing maxed out, and fullscreen is like no antialiasing, I really can't explain the issue but it is something like that, fullscreen isn't even close to being as smooth as windowed and borderless

LizardKweef

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017

Yes it is, 1920x1080.

And I just saw that it doesn't matter what resolution I pick in fullscreen, the issue persists. So it must have something to do with fullscreen mode... At first I thought it was bc my GPU is Nvidia and my monitor has Freesync instead of G-Sync but that wouldn't be it would it?

LizardKweef

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017

And how would I turn freesync off? The only thing I received with this monitor is a disc with a program and a driver. The driver is up to date and the program is basically the same as the buttons on the monitor like brightness, contrast, ...

LizardKweef

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017

No, my monitor has a full menu with inputs to choose from and reset buttons and colors that you can change and a bright box and stuff but the program I received on disk is the same, but you can click and that's waaay easier than using those annoying buttons on the botton of the monitor lol, but there is no option for turning off the freesync and I can't find it on the internet either... But I have to admit that it is a pretty cheap monitor so maybe it's because of that

LizardKweef

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
I think it had something to do with either the laptop or the hdmi... I am using my desktop with AMD GPU and DP instead of HDMI and now the game runs smooth as hell :) I couldn't turn on or off the freesync bc I had an Nvidia GPU on my laptop and I could not install the AMD program.

4745454b

Titan
I got my wires crossed, I thought you had an AMD GPU. I doubt Nvidia has anything in their drivers to turn it on or off, so I'm guess it was off by default seeing as you don't have the GPU that uses it.

HDMI is interesting, but I've always had better luck using DVI or DP. Probably due to my older GPU though.

Carnaxus

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017

You've crossed your wires twice over, he does have an AMD GPU...lol

Carnaxus

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017

...Gah. He just said he's using his desktop with an AMD GPU, and I completely forgot what he put in his first post.

I'm sure at least one of us still has an uncrossed wire somewhere...