[SOLVED] Screen flickering RX 6700 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2021
Hello there, my first time posting here !

I built a new computer few months ago, these are the components:
  • ASUS RX 6700 XT TUF OC edition
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • ASUS ROG Strix B-B550F
  • ASUS ROG Strix 850W modular ATX 80-gold
  • Gigabyte AORUS 16GB (2x8GB) memory 3600MHz
Operating system is Windows 10 Pro and I’m using the newest AMD drivers (21.10.3). BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. 2423. Everything is in their factory settings, no overclocking has been done by me. Case, 2 SSD, 1 HDD and disk drive are parts from my old computer build.

Monitors:
AOC 2590G4, this monitor is maybe two years old and is used as my main monitor. I will refer this as my ”new monitor” throughout this text. Used in 1080x1920 and 144Hz. Connected with DisplayPort.
ASUS VE248, this is my older monitor and is used as a secondary monitor. I will refer this as my ”old monitor” throughout this text. Used in 1080x1920 and 60Hz. Connected with HDMI.

The problem:
Within the last two weeks my monitors have started to flicker. When the flickering happens my monitor flashes super quick for a 0.1 seconds or so. No black screen or any errors ever occur when the flickering happens, no FPS drops nor tearing or graphical errors happen either. GPU and CPU temperatures are fine even under high pressure. This flickering seems to happen mostly randomly. Some times it happens while being idle in the desktop doing nothing, and some times while gaming. I was able to record the flickering while playing WoW:

View: https://imgur.com/a/b6ExMwK

Turning my camera left and right on this specific spot in WoW always makes the screen flicker. The flickering doesn’t happen by just standing in that spot. This specific example happened when only my ”new monitor” plugged in and no secondary monitors. It is not a WoW specific problem.

I have tried to switch my monitors around. I have been playing with my "old monitor" as my main monitor as well as with only one monitor plugged in. I noticed the flickering still happens, but it is less common with my ”old monitor” as the main monitor. The flickering always happens only on the main monitor, no matter which of my monitors are plugged in. I’m currently running a setup with only my ”new monitor” plugged in and no secondary monitors. The flickering still happens, but less often than when two monitors are plugged in.

Other basic solutions I have tried:
  • Plugging my monitors into different sockets
  • Checking that every cable is firmly connected
  • Limiting FPS and disabling FreeSync in AMD software
  • Lowering the refresh rate of my monitor
  • Unplugging my GPU and plugging it back in

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Everything is in their factory settings, no overclocking has been done by me.
So your rams are not running at DDR4-3600MHz? Any ram kit made to run above DDR4-2133MHz/2400MHz is an overclock.

Oddly enough I can't access the BIOS page for your motherboard's support portal to see if you have any more BIOS versions pending update. As for your OS, what version(not edition) are yo working with? Considering that you migrated the storage from the older platform, did you reinstall the OS after the platform upgrade? Please include the make and models of the SSD's.

Lutfij

Titan

So your rams are not running at DDR4-3600MHz? Any ram kit made to run above DDR4-2133MHz/2400MHz is an overclock.

Oddly enough I can't access the BIOS page for your motherboard's support portal to see if you have any more BIOS versions pending update. As for your OS, what version(not edition) are yo working with? Considering that you migrated the storage from the older platform, did you reinstall the OS after the platform upgrade? Please include the make and models of the SSD's.

Solution
Nov 8, 2021

Sorry, forgot about the ram speed. That IS set to 3600MHz in BIOS by me.
Windows version is 21H1 Build 19043.1320.
Did a clean install of windows for the new PC build.

Seagate HDD ST1000DM003 1TB - only used to storage music, movies, etc.
Crucial MX200 250GB - Windows is installed in here and pretty much nothing else.
Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB - games and other applications.

Nov 8, 2021
21.10.2 is the latest Non Mobile GPU driver. Might want to redownload from AMD.

Adrenalin 21.10.2 Recommended (WHQL)

2nd option for Windows 10

Same problem still happens with fresh Adrenalin 21.10.2 (WHQL).
I also noticed there was a new optional driver update, Adrenalin 21.11.1. Tried that one too, and flickering still happens.
Drivers downloaded from AMD official site. Testing done with only one monitor plugged in (dunno if this is relevant).

Status
Not open for further replies.