[SOLVED] Screen flickers/glitches and laptop freezes

Apr 19, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have a Lenovo X1 carbon 3rd generation with an i7-5600U and 8GB ram using Windows 10. The graphics card is integrated within the CPU.
Yesterday I inserted a second screen through an HDMI cable to work using both screens. Everything worked fine for some time and then the screens started flickering and the computer froze. I removed the additional screen and the problem continues to exist for the computer. Then, as soon as the computer freezes, it restarts, and then the problem happens again, creating a loop between restart - boot - flickering and freeze - restart and so on. After that, if I break the loop with the reset button or by pressing the power button, the computer shuts down. Then, if I press the power button again, the pc is not responding (lights work but Lenovo screen does not show up) and after some time (5-10 minutes) I am again able to start the computer, only to experience the same problem again.
I noticed that if I get into BIOS, regardless of the time the computer is open, the computer does not have any flickering and freezing incidents. However, as soon as the computer enters the booting phase, it can happen to any point (at the welcome screen of windows, booting phase, etc.).

Things that I have already tried:
  1. Remove battery, perform reset using the reset button.
  2. Launch from safe mode - The computer works fine for a longer time and I am sometimes able to log in windows, but at some point, it again flickers and freezes.
  3. Remove hard drive and run windows boot from USB - PC flickers and freezes again at any time after loading windows setup (from USB).
  4. Boot using ubuntu USB to bypass any bad driver update issue in windows - The flickering and freeze screen still happens (most times it takes more time to happen (3-4 minutes more)).
  5. Run diagnostics from BIOS in Lenovo - All components pass the checks.
  6. I also noticed that sometimes the fan starts when I press the power button, but then shuts for the rest of the time, and I'm not able to see if it starts in windows, since the computer flickers and then freezes.

My question is whether this is a graphics issue associated with the CPU - and if that is the case, why does the flickering and freezing not happen when I am in BIOS but it does when windows are loading or when I am using the windows/ubuntu USB? Shouldn't the problem happen at any time (even in BIOS) if it was a hardware issue since the computer only has 1 graphics card integrated within the CPU? and shouldn't the problem stop when I used any of the USB setups if it was a driver issue?

Thank you all in advance and sorry for any typos or missing information.

Solution
First download DDU (display driver uninstaller) and extract it to your desktop, then download latest intel graphics driver for your laptop here (Choose your operating system) : https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-carbon-20bs-20bt/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Display and Video Graphics
- put the file to your desktop
-Boot into safe mode (google how if you dont know)
  • Plug off internet cable and wifi, no connection to internet
  • Open DDU in safe mode, choose GPU then choose Intel from the drop down menu, press Clean and restart (recommended) it will finish in 20seconds can reboot after that automatically, Do not plugin internet yet.
  • Boot into...
How old are the laptop? Have you warranty still valid?

What you describe pretty much confirms there is a HW issue. I know from usage of those laptop I've had, they use to run hotter when using an extra screen. In your case, it probably just triggered a latent failure - somehow.

Apr 19, 2020
How old are the laptop? Have you warranty still valid?

What you describe pretty much confirms there is a HW issue. I know from usage of those laptop I've had, they use to run hotter when using an extra screen. In your case, it probably just triggered a latent failure - somehow.

Thank you for your help Grobe,

The laptop was built in 2015 and it is a refurbished laptop. The warranty is not valid for this laptop.
Would this HW issue be with the graphics regardless of the error-free operation of the PC in BIOS?

Would this HW issue be with the graphics regardless of the error-free operation of the PC in BIOS?
The GPU usage when in bios/booting should be minimal and also cause less heat.

Then one more question : Have this laptop ever being dropped to a hard surface/floor?
When I think about, it seems to have a tendency of having trouble with heat. Maybe there is a simple mechanical failure inside - e.g. a screw for a cooler device has fallen off?

Apr 19, 2020
The GPU usage when in bios/booting should be minimal and also cause less heat.

Then one more question : Have this laptop ever being dropped to a hard surface/floor?
When I think about, it seems to have a tendency of having trouble with heat. Maybe there is a simple mechanical failure inside - e.g. a screw for a cooler device has fallen off?

Thank you for your reply Grobe,

It actually dropped once before (about 5 months ago) on the floor but it did not show any errors or freezes/glitches.

When I opened it I did not see anything that looked broken but I will check for any cooling devices on the motherboard to see if anything suspicious comes up.
If this is a heat issue then I should also apply some new thermal paste on the CPU as well.

First download DDU (display driver uninstaller) and extract it to your desktop, then download latest intel graphics driver for your laptop here (Choose your operating system) : https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-carbon-20bs-20bt/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Display and Video Graphics
  • Open DDU in safe mode, choose GPU then choose Intel from the drop down menu, press Clean and restart (recommended) it will finish in 20seconds can reboot after that automatically, Do not plugin internet yet.
  • Boot into normal windows and install your intel graphics drivers you just downloaded, restart. Now you can plugin internet back.
After your done

1. Open "Intel Graphics Control Panel "
  2. Disable "panel self refresh option" in there
If none of this work, update latest bios. Go to Lenovo site with your exact model number and choose right operating system and then latest bios. Make sure you have more than 30% battery and plugin power cable. Disable antivirus until next boot and close all tabs. Continue with updating the bios.

EDIT: I forgot there might be issues with ME (intel management engine) firmware in old lenovos atleast, not sure about x1 carbon but worth a try.
When your searching for the drivers for you laptop (Very important you use your exact model number and operating system), under "Chipset" you will see "Intel management engine Software", Download the latest Version and make the firmware update.

Last edited:
Solution
It actually dropped once before (about 5 months ago) on the floor but it did not show any errors or freezes/glitches.
Yea, that is what I beleive is the actual cause of the problem.

Depending of the kind of cooler (and if you have a good portion of luck), it may be enough to just replace the thermal paste. You do not necessarily be able to tell if something is bashed out just by touching it with your hand.

Anyway, before doing any HW operation, you should follow lga1156_ftw description (if it turns out being a software issue after all)

Apr 19, 2020
  • Boot into normal windows and install your intel graphics drivers you just downloaded, restart. Now you can plugin internet back.
After your done

1. Open "Intel Graphics Control Panel "
  2. Disable "panel self refresh option" in there
If none of this work, update latest bios. Go to Lenovo site with your exact model number and choose right operating system and then latest bios. Make sure you have more than 30% battery and plugin power cable. Disable antivirus until next boot and close all tabs. Continue with updating the bios.

EDIT: I forgot there might be issues with ME (intel management engine) firmware in old lenovos atleast, not sure about x1 carbon but worth a try.
When your searching for the drivers for you laptop (Very important you use your exact model number and operating system), under "Chipset" you will see "Intel management engine Software", Download the latest Version and make the firmware update.

Depending of the kind of cooler (and if you have a good portion of luck), it may be enough to just replace the thermal paste. You do not necessarily be able to tell if something is bashed out just by touching it with your hand.

Anyway, before doing any HW operation, you should follow lga1156_ftw description (if it turns out being a software issue after all)

Thank you for your help Grobe and lga1156_ftw,
I updated BIOS to their latest version when I was trying to fix the problem. I will try to follow the process you described (hopefully it does not crash before I am able to finish). I will also install the latest version of ME software and add thermal paste and see if the problem continues.

Update the thread if no software fix helps since there Is few things you can try with replacing thermal paste, i mean when the machine Is In parts so you dont have to disassembly twice. Get good thermal paste like thermal grizzly kryonaut and some 90 percent isoprophyl alchohol

Apr 19, 2020

Update the thread if no software fix helps since there Is few things you can try with replacing thermal paste, i mean when the machine Is In parts so you dont have to disassembly twice. Get good thermal paste like thermal grizzly kryonaut and some 90 percent isoprophyl alchohol

Sorry for the late response. I was trying to perform the software solution but the laptop continued crashing before the software finishes. I have an update regarding the problem however. I did the extended lenovo diagnostics once again for all components and at some point it crashed in the extended RAM diagnostics. I also tested it with a bootable software (memtest) and the laptop crashes at some point during the ram test. Unfortunately the RAM modules are soldered on the motherboard in this laptop so I guess I will need to replace the motherboard. I do not know any possible fix/test that I can perform if the problem is in the RAM modules.

Thank you all for your help.

Some times you get ram errors even if the problem Is not the ram itself.
I would watch disassembly video and reconnect all connectors To the motherboard and also check for any damage or liquid corrosion. Also check all usb and hdmi port pins are not shorted.
Remove cmos battery for 10min the plugin it back for cmos reset. Try boot the motherboard "bareb one" To Ubuntu usb without hdd Or lcd cable connected only external monitor.