Question Screen Freeze during games on new build. Pls Help!

Jan 5, 2021
Hi, I'm new and this is my first post. Nice to meet you all! I just built my first PC. Nothing amazing, just something which can play the games I am into, and surf the net. No need for massive core count as I don't use it as a workstation.

Here are my specs, if that matters:

Mobo: MSI z390-A Pro
CPU: Intel i5-9600k (got it cheap for £120)
GPU: GTX 1070 (Asus ROG Strix) - migrated from my old PC, looking for 3060ti or 3070 upgrade when prices come down.
Boot Drive: Kingston SATA-2 SSD 240GB
Game Drive: Crucial P5 NVME 3 (I think it's NVME 3) 500GB
General dogs-body drive: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda (256mb Cache, 7200rpm)
RAM: 2x8GB 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition.
WIFI: Ubit AX/AC WiFi 6 Card Dual Band 2974 Mbps AX200 PCIE Bluetooth WLAN Network WiFi Card

I know this is probably a noob thing to say and doesn't mean anything, but I did a few benchmarks and all were fine, Kombustor performed very well at 41 FPS on 1080p on the top test in the list - (GL) msi-01, which I've seen for 1070-Ti scores.
Userbenchmark clocked me at the top 7th percentile, with my graphics card performing at the top 1 percentile at 90 (pretty much off the chart for a 1070 which has an average of 74).
My system is performing (according to userbenchmark) in the top 7% of PC's with the same parts. I know Userbenchmark is not deemed legitimate, but that and Kombustor were the only ones I knew of.
I am tweaking it on Afterburner but this makes no difference to the screen freeze whether I have it on or turn it off completely. I have even tried undervolting the GPU.

I mostly play World of Warcraft (not a demanding game) but get screen freeze of up to 20 seconds every 5 minutes or so. This happens nowhere else, not online, not suring benchmarks, nothing but the game does this.

Will a Bios update help me out? My Windows 10 version is 64 bit (digital license), build 19042.685.

I know there is a newer Bios flash I could do on my Mobo, but I am unsure whether this will make a difference. I have checked all the normal things like system temps whilst under load. They are all WELL within normal parameters.

I simply can't work it out. I used to have an AWFUL system with an intel i5-4440 chip, and a GTX 660 (a £500 system I bought in 2013 or 2014). Wow was starting to become unplayable on it so I upgraded within my limited budget. I think I spent £1000 including a new monitor, keyboard and mouse. Not a lot (around $1350). I did get some parts cheap though, so the retail price is more like $1500 all told.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited: