Question Screen freezes, audio continues, PC tower LEDs reset to default colors

jademarche

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Hello, I'm having some issues with my PC. I will go into systems specs, symptoms, troubleshooting efforts below. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabye X570 Aorus Ultra (Rev 1.1/1.2)
RAM: 32GB (4 sticks) Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM
STORAGE: Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCI2 M.2 SSD
GPU: AMD RX 5700
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-650 Gold\
MONITORS 1: Dell S2721DGF 165hz 2560x1440
MONITOR 2: Nixeus Vue 24" 144hz 1920x1080
CASE: Corsair 5000D
CPU COOLING: Corsair iCUE Elite
FANS: Corsair QL120 RGB

I built the PC in Jan of 2021
Replaced the Tower/fans/cpu cooling in May 2022
Replaced PSU 1 week ago

Symptoms:
Generally, if I am on my PC I am playing games, so I can only really say that this has happened when I was doing so. This has occurred randomly, at most being 2 times in one day, to spanning a week before it happens.

This started in roughly beginning of December 2022.
  • My monitors freeze. Whatever was being displayed at the moment of the event remains and I have no control.
  • Audio continues to play. Game sound or discord will continue however my mic no longer works. There is a momentary break in the sound occasionally but it continues.
  • PC tower LEDs (fans, motherboard lights, cpu cooling lights) reset to default colors after approximately 5-10 seconds.
  • Have to restart PC using the Power or Restart button
  • There are no events that are logged in Reliability Monitor after reboot
Troubleshooting Efforts:
Temperatures

• All temps have been monitored and nothing outside of ordinary noted. I have more than sufficient cooling for all PC components.
Windows 11
  • Full wipe, fresh install
  • Attempted windows hotkey Win+CTRL+SHIFT+B to reset video drivers
NOTE
  • After fresh install, noticed in Event Viewer that (2) windows services were attempting to call/use EOSWebcam app. This was occuring every 3-5seconds on repeat. This was very odd because I did NOT re-install the EOSWebcam application after the fresh install. I had to boot in SAFEMODE and delete the .dll files/folder associated with EOSWebcam app and this solved that issue.
Event Viewer
  • There are no events that I can find associated with the time of the freeze occurring.
  • I do have a an Event 10016, DistributedCOM Warning about 25 minutes prior but from what I've read this is not likely associated with this issue.
Reliability Monitor
  • There are no events that associated with the time of the freeze occurring.
BIOS/Motherboard
  • Verified most up-to-date bios
  • Clean installed previous bios versions
  • Verified no BIOS CPU overclocking enabled
  • Disabled xboost ram clock speed modifier. Have since re-enabled
  • Visual Inspection of motherboard for for leaking capacitors/burn marks. None noted.
GPU
  • Verified most up-to-date drivers
  • Uninstalled current drivers and clean installed previous versions
  • Removed and re-seated the GPU
PSU
  • Replaced PSU with brand new PSU
RAM
  • Ran memtest.exe with all 4 sticks installed. No issues found. I understand it is better to test them 1 by 1 but I just haven't done that. If it is suggested that I do then I will. I don't believe that this is causing the issue however.
iCUE Software
  • I read that iCUE software can cause issues so I uninstalled it.
GIGABYTE Software
  • I read about lots of gigabyte software issues so I uninstalled all of it.
FUTURE
  • I may try and reset the CMOS, I just haven't done this since I need to remove my GPU to gain access to the battery.
Each of the troubleshooting steps listed above have been performed separately so as to test effectiveness. Most recently, I have gone 7 days without a freeze. This was after replacing my PSU. I thought I was in the clear until this evening when it happened again ><

I am running out of ideas short of replacing parts one at a time, which I would like to NOT do of course $$$.

Any help is welcome and appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello, I'm having some issues with my PC. I will go into systems specs, symptoms, troubleshooting efforts below. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabye X570 Aorus Ultra (Rev 1.1/1.2)
RAM: 32GB (4 sticks) Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM
STORAGE: Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCI2 M.2 SSD
GPU: AMD RX 5600
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-650 Gold\
MONITORS 1: Dell S2721DGF 165hz 2560x1440
MONITOR 2: Nixeus Vue 24" 144hz 1920x1080
CASE: Corsair 5000D
CPU COOLING: Corsair iCUE Elite
FANS: Corsair QL120 RGB

I built the PC in Jan of 2021
Replaced the Tower/fans/cpu cooling in May 2022
Replaced PSU 1 week ago

Symptoms:
Generally, if I am on my PC I am playing games, so I can only really say that this has happened when I was doing so. This has occurred randomly, at most being 2 times in one day, to spanning a week before it happens.

This started in roughly beginning of December 2022.
  • My monitors freeze. Whatever was being displayed at the moment of the event remains and I have no control.
  • Audio continues to play. Game sound or discord will continue however my mic no longer works. There is a momentary break in the sound occasionally but it continues.
  • PC tower LEDs (fans, motherboard lights, cpu cooling lights) reset to default colors after approximately 5-10 seconds.
  • Have to restart PC using the Power or Restart button
  • There are no events that are logged in Reliability Monitor after reboot
Troubleshooting Efforts:
Temperatures

• All temps have been monitored and nothing outside of ordinary noted. I have more than sufficient cooling for all PC components.
Windows 11
  • Full wipe, fresh install
  • Attempted windows hotkey Win+CTRL+SHIFT+B to reset video drivers
NOTE
  • After fresh install, noticed in Event Viewer that (2) windows services were attempting to call/use EOSWebcam app. This was occuring every 3-5seconds on repeat. This was very odd because I did NOT re-install the EOSWebcam application after the fresh install. I had to boot in SAFEMODE and delete the .dll files/folder associated with EOSWebcam app and this solved that issue.
Event Viewer
  • There are no events that I can find associated with the time of the freeze occurring.
  • I do have a an Event 10016, DistributedCOM Warning about 25 minutes prior but from what I've read this is not likely associated with this issue.
Reliability Monitor
  • There are no events that associated with the time of the freeze occurring.
BIOS/Motherboard
  • Verified most up-to-date bios
  • Clean installed previous bios versions
  • Verified no BIOS CPU overclocking enabled
  • Disabled xboost ram clock speed modifier. Have since re-enabled
  • Visual Inspection of motherboard for for leaking capacitors/burn marks. None noted.
GPU
  • Verified most up-to-date drivers
  • Uninstalled current drivers and clean installed previous versions
  • Removed and re-seated the GPU
PSU
  • Replaced PSU with brand new PSU
RAM
  • Ran memtest.exe with all 4 sticks installed. No issues found. I understand it is better to test them 1 by 1 but I just haven't done that. If it is suggested that I do then I will. I don't believe that this is causing the issue however.
iCUE Software
  • I read that iCUE software can cause issues so I uninstalled it.
GIGABYTE Software
  • I read about lots of gigabyte software issues so I uninstalled all of it.
FUTURE
  • I may try and reset the CMOS, I just haven't done this since I need to remove my GPU to gain access to the battery.
Each of the troubleshooting steps listed above have been performed separately so as to test effectiveness. Most recently, I have gone 7 days without a freeze. This was after replacing my PSU. I thought I was in the clear until this evening when it happened again ><

I am running out of ideas short of replacing parts one at a time, which I would like to NOT do of course $$$.

Any help is welcome and appreciated. Thank you!
You can reset CMOS right from BIOS screen, just choose Factory defaults. Optimized defaults or whatever defaults BIOS offers. Look at BIOS screen. probably F5 button. Shorting posts or taking battery out is only in case you can't access BIOS.

Reactions: jademarche
Jan 31, 2023
I have been having this exact same issue, I believe it's caused by the AMD graphics drivers and have been troubleshooting this issue for a few months.
I'm running a 5700XT, this can happen while playing any game or browsing any website and it's seemingly random.

jademarche

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
I have been having this exact same issue, I believe it's caused by the AMD graphics drivers and have been troubleshooting this issue for a few months.
I'm running a 5700XT, this can happen while playing any game or browsing any website and it's seemingly random.
I have an rx 5700 (typo above, said 5600). Hmm... have you read anything on this? My thoughts were it could be something with the drivers as well.. I believe that this problem started for me in December-ish and there was a new driver update that month. I tried rolling-back to the previous version of drivers but it ended up freezing still.

Please let me know if you have any luck or find any specific info on this!

Thanks

Jan 30, 2023
Have you heard about W11 bug with AMD CPU's? It started with the latest updates.
Search the web , revert the update, see what happens.

I will switch back to W10 since W11 is kinda intel oriented :)

jademarche

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Hey, did you figure anything out? The problem for me seemed to go away for a bit then returned. I'm starting to think it could be hardware related.. but unsure. Let me know if you have had any luck! Thanks.