[SOLVED] Screen freezing with new GPU at the screen when I can choose bios and boot options

Jan 24, 2019
Hey!

I just bought a new GPU, the RTX 2060, as I installed it and but the power to the computer in again a white light lit up on the GPU, I initially thought it was something wrong because I'm using a 6-pin and a 2-pin connector to power the 8-pin slot but as I unplugged one of them it lit up red so I'm assuming it's supposed to light up white.

At first I thought everything went well until the PC froze as I got into the first loading part of the boot (When I get the option to go into boot options and bios), right after the load is done the screen turns black and nothing happens.

When I plugged in my old GPU it booted normally and I installed the drivers for the new card thinking that might solve it, it did not. I've now also tried removing and putting the ram back in, did not work either. I've tried uninstalling all old drivers in safe mode, that also did not work.

I've been reading a lot of threads about people with similar problems and the answer usually is to access the control panel and disable the integrated graphics, but I don't have any when I check and I'm uncertain if it will do my pc harm to boot without GPU.

Specs of the Alienware Aurora R3:

Inter Core i7-2600K
Used to have 2 amd 6950 GPU
16gb RAM
Alienware motherboard

Solution
You are now using an Nvidia GPU and previously you had an AMD one. So the completely different driver plays a big role and it's likely causing this issue. You have to re-install one of your old graphics card, boot into windows, download DDU, run it in order to completely remove the previous drivers and finally shut down your PC. Remove the old GPU, re-install the new one, boot into windows and finally install the new Nvidia driver. Good luck.
You are now using an Nvidia GPU and previously you had an AMD one. So the completely different driver plays a big role and it's likely causing this issue. You have to re-install one of your old graphics card, boot into windows, download DDU, run it in order to completely remove the previous drivers and finally shut down your PC. Remove the old GPU, re-install the new one, boot into windows and finally install the new Nvidia driver. Good luck.

Solution