screen goes black during gaming

theresmagnum

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
I just bought a pc but now when I play games "payday 2". the game crashes in the middle of playing the screen shuts off but the fans stays on as well as the LEDs. I push restart and the computer turns on normal. I have a nvidia gtx 960 2gb ddr5 if i remember right.it needs an 8 pin to 6 pin molex but my power supply didn't have a 6 pin connector so I hooked it to a 6 pin to 4 pin connect or and that powered it but I feel like I eliminated the power it needs to run.

AMD FX 6300

500 WATT POWER SUPPLY

MSI GEFORCE GTX 960 GAMING 2G OC 2GB GDDR5

8 GB MEMORY

theresmagnum

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
I'll look for an 8 pin then thanks. I have a power supply with a 6 pin connector I might try bUT do you think it's the connector or could it be something else ?

I ask cause I removed the original video card before the computers first start up and never thought till now that the drivers could be conflicting.

AceScottie

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
I had a problem similar to this and power may not be the issue here. before splashing out the cash on connectors or a new PSU have a look at HW monitor from CPUID. on my 660 at around 73C my screen would cut to black until a forcefully closed whatever game i was playing. After looking at your cards temperatures it looks like your max temperature before it cuts out could be as low as 82C.

Grab a copy of HW monitor and start playing your games while keeping an eye on the max heat of both CPU and graphics card and see at what temperature it cuts out at. if anything is hitting over 80C perhaps look into cooling your PC more.

if the cut out has nothing to do with temperature then follow the advice of the other answers.