Screen hangs on last frame, loud buzzing sound from headphones, no BSOD.

Aug 7, 2018
Updated 13/08/2018

Tom's Hardware community,

I bought my PC at the start of May and have been experiencing this problem for the past 3 weeks. At random times throughout the day (usually twice) my system crashes with no BSOD, hangs on the last frame and a loud buzzing sound comes through my headphones.

I was confident this was a hardware issue, but since I've tested almost all my hardware, I'm not so sure. I've run stress tests on my GPU and CPU which apparently also put stress on your PSU. My hard drive works on my old PC. I've performed a reset of my PC but not a new installation of Windows. I've updated and downgraded drivers for almost everything. I'm yet to test the RAM, but will be doing that shortly.

The noise I'm hearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OC0C5Y3_Mg (This doesn't always occur, only when the system crashes and there is noise either from music, games etc.)

I should also note that the system takes at least one restart on boot before it does a proper load of everything (so I can hear the beep). Nothing was changed on the day that the issues occurred. I'm not sure what's left for me to do and I'm hoping somebody here can help.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z270-P
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
PSU: CoolerMaster MasterWatt Lite 400W
RAM: DDR4 8GB 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance LPX
HD: Seagate BarraCuda 1TB
(Anything else I should include let me know)

Aug 7, 2018
So far so good. I pulled out the 400W PSU and replaced it with a 500W from my spare PC. Boots up every time with no issues and is yet to crash. Will label it as the solution when I can be sure it's fixed.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Good news and glad this was a relatively easy fix. Have fun.

Aug 7, 2018
Unfortunately, the issue is still occurring. Is it worth attempting a new installation of Windows or is there something else I can try? Baring in mind I'm yet to test the RAM.

Aug 7, 2018
Test your memory. Also test stability while using the integrated video adapter ( remove GTX) .

I tested RAM with Windows Memory Diagnostic, no issues were detected. I also removed my GPU and ran integrated for a couple hours before it crashed again (with a really distorted screen).

However, if it's of any use, my PC crashed yesterday with a BSOD (that froze up) and gave me the stop error - Kernel Security Check Failure. Hoping this can be used to provide more detail to the situation.

Aug 7, 2018
I reduced the RAM speed so will let you know how I get on. As far as I'm aware, nothing changed with my system on the day it occurred. Is there any way for me to find out as I've reset my PC a couple times since?

I would boot to USB and do an absolute clean install. delete all your partitions. reinstall windows and then put your new drivers on there.

Large update to Windows 10 can be problematic and we have seen this personally and our place is well. Updates sometimes screw stuff up.

Aug 7, 2018
So it's been 2 weeks since the issue last occurred, nothing happened on the day after my last post (didn't boot to USB like I said I would try) and the problem seemed to disappear. I came off a short holiday yesterday, PC said the last shutdown was improper and proceeded to do an update. I've now crashed twice today and yesterday evening my PC would not shut down from the start menu. I clicked 'shut down', my screen went off and then came back on at the login screen almost instantly with all my previous apps open.