Screen is black when turning pc off and on

jcmarais98

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
Ok, so after many times of asking the person who built my pc (lets call him the IT guy in this thread), I decided to come here because the IT guy gives me a shit answer.

Sometimes when I turn my pc on, everything works fine, then when I go to eat or something I turn my PC off (or on sleep). Then when I come back to turn it back on again, my screen is black. My GPU is an MSI Nvidia GTX 670 PE. Usually when I turn my PC on, I can hear the fans of the graphics card turn in the opposite direction (it has dust removal technology) and it makes a big noise, so I know it is powered. But sometimes when I come back as I have described earlier in this post, the screen is black, and I don't hear the fans of my graphics card turning in the opposite direction. The IT guy suggest it is my DVI cable, but it can't be, because a DVI cable can't make a graphics card not work in my case. So is it maybe my PSU or my GPU that is causing this issue? Later on (after about sometimes more than 3 hours of wait) it works again. I can't test my card in another pc, because this happens very rarely, but it happens.
My specs are:

Intel i5 3570K @ 3.8Ghz

Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM 1600MHz

Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD

WD Blue 1TB HDD

Corsair CX600 PSU

Coolermaster Hyper TX3 EVO cooler

Gigabyte ga-Z77M-D3H

MSI GTX 670 Power Edition

Please help me guys, I want to get a sollution to this problem. Is it my PSU or Graphics card? All my components are under warranty.

goku1234567890

Distinguished
I suspect it is a graphic card but i cant say for sure. Can you open the case and see if the fans spin at all, the card might be bad. In other case the IT guy might be right as the DVI cable has to provide display, so the graphic card might be working correctly but the cable is failing to provide a display.

jcmarais98

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014

I opened the case and the fans spin, but very slowly, it is supposed to spin backwards at full RPM for the dust removal tech, but it doesn't. It is not the cable, I have tested it.

jcmarais98

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014

Well thats weird because after some time it works again. So just now I played a bit Borderlands 2, and I used to get smooth gameplay (I cap my FPS on 60 and I always get 60 constant, but now it drops to 40 FPS, so much FPS lag I can't take it!

jcmarais98

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014

Well thats weird because after some time it works again. So just now I played a bit Borderlands 2, and I used to get smooth gameplay (I cap my FPS on 60 and I always get 60 constant, but now it drops to 40 FPS, so much FPS lag I can't take it!

goku1234567890

Distinguished
See the way it works that the wiring may not be completely burned, sometimes it may be passing currents or sometimes it is passing currents in intervals causing the card heat up and to drop fps. It is one logic only. Are you playing online? The fps drops can be caused due to internet connection or server you are playing and also the number of people joined in that server. Turn off your net for a while and see if it works fine.

jcmarais98

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014

No I don't play Borderlands 2 online. Another problem is that games I play on medium-ultra settings crash my display driver. I have done a clean install of windows and I have the latest drivers.

jcmarais98

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014

I don't have another card a.t.m, but im going to a friend next week. Should I test his card in my pc or mine in his?

jcmarais98

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014

I'm sorry I don't understand, should I put my graphics card in another PC or another graphics card in my PC?

goku1234567890

Distinguished
You should try both. If you put your graphic card in other PC and it gives problems like you said it gives than the graphic card is the problem, or if your friend card's work fine in his PC but not in your's than the motherboard is the reason. Hope this cleared a bit.

jcmarais98

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014

Thank you so much, will post here again when I test the cards :)

jcmarais98

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014

Ok so I have tested the graphics card in another pc and a different graphics card in my pc, and there were no issues, except I had very low FPS when testing my friend's GTX 770. He gets 150+ fps in BF4 Ultra settings, but I get 80-90 fps in BF4 Ultra settings? Maybe some other components is causing it? I have tested my CPU for several hours with Prime95 and there were no issues, and I tested my RAM with memtest86, no errors were found...

jcmarais98

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014

We both have PCI-E 3.0 x16

TRENDING THREADS