[SOLVED] Screen randomly turns black/gray/etc - Unresponsive

Saint_Nicholas

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Hey guys, so this actually isn't a problem I myself am having but it's for a friend I am trying to help. His computer will turn on just fine, boots up and after a short while it would just stop working.....screen would go gray, black, or like a weird shade of green. Just kind of depended on the computers mood I guess. Then as of today, he turns on the PC and the monitor isn't responding, it gets power and turns on but isn't registering any display. All of his other peripherals are powered as well. However, he unplugs it from his graphics card & plugs it into the MOBO and it works (So kind of 2 problems here I suppose or maybe the GPU could be bad?).

CPU: Intel i7-4790k Devil's Canyon 4.0 GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 Ti
PSU: Unknown
RAM: HyperX Fury White Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333
MOBO: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition LGA 1150 Intel Z97
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB
Windows: Win10 64-bit

Solution
Having the display go weird colours but still work (for a little while) makes me think its the cable dieing, You have a spare laying around to try that you know works?

For the GPU, yeah if it turns out thats the problem its gonna be an expensive replacement, so if you've again got a spare, try that. Power supplies, especially cheapy cheap ones should not be trusted powering 3 digit price tag GPU's either, but not knowing what your friends PSU is makes it hard to find out if its the case here that the PSU is causing trouble. Can you ask them to pop a side panel and read the brand/model?

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Having the display go weird colours but still work (for a little while) makes me think its the cable dieing, You have a spare laying around to try that you know works?

For the GPU, yeah if it turns out thats the problem its gonna be an expensive replacement, so if you've again got a spare, try that. Power supplies, especially cheapy cheap ones should not be trusted powering 3 digit price tag GPU's either, but not knowing what your friends PSU is makes it hard to find out if its the case here that the PSU is causing trouble. Can you ask them to pop a side panel and read the brand/model?

Solution