Screen resolution with windows 7 ultimate

hukkus

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
I waited as much as I could, but in the end I had to say good bye to my loved windows xp and I have just installed windows 7 ultimate in my brand new pc, with a new graphics card, using the same screen as before.

My biggest problem is quite surprising. I can't find any screen resolution working well. If I go for lower resolutions, sometimes the image won't fill the screen, plus letters and numbers don't have great definition. On the other hand, if I choose bigger resolutions (actually the recommended ones), everything is annoyingly small. And we need to protect our eyes, there is no point in reading tiny characters at all!

I didn't have that problem with my former XP and my very old graphics card. I find this very strange, any advice on how I could solve this?

hukkus

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
The computer where I installed windows 7 is new: i5-4590 3,3. 16GB RAM, Graphics card is GTX 750 Ti.

Monitor is HP 2211x, which is like 5 years old, and I was using this same monitor with my former pc (the one with Windows XP)

Currently I am using VGA connector (the blue one). A few days ago I tried using DVI and I think everything was the same (not sure if exactly the same to be honest, but for sure I couldn't fix the issue).

kanewolf

Titan
VGA, since it is an analog signal has more flexibility in scaling. You will get a better image with the DVI because it is an all digital interface. The specs for that monitor are 1920x1080 resolution and that is what should be used. Try the DVI with 19x10 and see what it looks like.

hukkus

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
Yes, 1920x1080 appears as the recommended resolution. I have just tried it once more both with VGA and DVI and I couldn't find differences between both. But in both cases I find everything very small, which is how all this started.

I don't have any problems with my eyes, but since I spend long hours every day with my pc, I don't see the point in forcing my eyes. As this is actually how we develop vision problems. I am quite sure my oculist wouldn't like the idea :) Plus in some programs I just get screens with basically everything blank with tiny action squares, which for me makes no sense, as I would prefer those squares to be bigger since there is plenty of room in the screen (and I can get that with lower resolutions).

The problem is: lower resolutions mean -I don't know why- kind of blurry characters, which was not happening in my previous pc.

kanewolf

Titan
IF the screen is filled edge-to-edge appropriately, then what you need to do is to change the desktop scaling in windows.
Go to Start->Control Panel->Display You should be able to change from "smaller", "medium", "larger" scaling on your display.

hukkus

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
That's very useful! Not perfect, because desktop icons are growing quite a lot, and in some programs I am still getting strange appearances, but much better with 125%. I guess it will be impossible, but if there was a way of selecting, for example, 130 or 135% that would be better, because 150% is too big.

hukkus

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
I see... but after playing a bit with this it seems that playing with those percentages, 125, 140, 150, I can only make things getting longer in vertical. Horizontally it remains more or less the same. Which means some funny (unwanted) effects.

Anyway, I appreciate your help, it is better now than it was