Screen scrolling on its own

ashok

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
My screen on my webpage started scrolling up and down on it's own. Especially bad when I open a PDF document. I thought it was the mouse (wireless), I removed the batteries from mouse and screen still continues to scroll up and down, even took batteries out of wireless keyboard and screen still continues to scroll up and down. I have scanned for spyware and viruses with CA and nothing found. I have rebooted computer dozens of times and problem still continues. ANY SUGGESTIONS??? THANKS.

G

I am also experiencing this problem. Personally I'm on Windows XP and use a Intelli Explorer 3.0 mouse, which is wired. I also have a Wacom tablet, which I believe sometimes in the past actually did something crazy to create a similar problem, but this time it's not it. And as with you, the crazy scrolling problem would continue after unplugging my mouse.

I was playing WoW now when it suddenly happened. Everything was scrolling up and down and in and out. As unplugging my mouse didn't work I rebooted my machine to deal with the problem, which it seemingly did, and went back on to continue playing. After a while it started again. While working around the crazy scrolling I tried to find solutions to the problem on the web, but I found none. This is actually the only page I've seen where someone else has had the exact same problem as me. All others were Linux, Mac or Logitech specific problems.

I then scanned for adwares (allthough I found nothing in particular), and I have also reinstalled the latest Intellipoint software to see if it could help by some chance. I then unplugged my mouse once more before rebooting my machine again. Upon booting Windows started this "Boot Cleaner" thing that I've never even seen before. Not the ordinary Scan. Now, ruling out the Wacom tablet at startup and the replugging my mouse, everything is currently working fine. Allthough I won't know for sure yet, since it start going crazy completely at random.

ashok: Have you been able to find a solution since you added this question?

ashok

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
I am also experiencing this problem. Personally I'm on Windows XP and use a Intelli Explorer 3.0 mouse, which is wired. I also have a Wacom tablet, which I believe sometimes in the past actually did something crazy to create a similar problem, but this time it's not it. And as with you, the crazy scrolling problem would continue after unplugging my mouse.

I was playing WoW now when it suddenly happened. Everything was scrolling up and down and in and out. As unplugging my mouse didn't work I rebooted my machine to deal with the problem, which it seemingly did, and went back on to continue playing. After a while it started again. While working around the crazy scrolling I tried to find solutions to the problem on the web, but I found none. This is actually the only page I've seen where someone else has had the exact same problem as me. All others were Linux, Mac or Logitech specific problems.

I then scanned for adwares (allthough I found nothing in particular), and I have also reinstalled the latest Intellipoint software to see if it could help by some chance. I then unplugged my mouse once more before rebooting my machine again. Upon booting Windows started this "Boot Cleaner" thing that I've never even seen before. Not the ordinary Scan. Now, ruling out the Wacom tablet at startup and the replugging my mouse, everything is currently working fine. Allthough I won't know for sure yet, since it start going crazy completely at random.

ashok: Have you been able to find a solution since you added this question?

I removed the batteries from my mouse and keyboard and hooked up a wired mouse and wired keyboard and did not have the scrolling problems. I then downloaded the latest Intellipoint software update and just for good measure I replaced the batteries in the mouse and the keyboard. I have not had any rogue scrolling since I took these measures.

Lilly S

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I am also having this problem. i also find that my Yahoo messenger sometimes go beserk as well, trying to type messages to random people it types in such as 'rrr'. do you also have this problem? I am using windows XP and have run my norton 360 many times to try and find out if I have a virus but it picks up nothing.

ashkelon

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I expect this is probably more related to javascript (or other scripting) on the page itself that is attempting to auto-refresh or preload pages on it's own and getting hosed up when reloading.

That's why so many random things "fix" the problem.

Hopping around the room on one foot "fixes" it as well as anything for me. See what I mean? Leaving the problem page, or closing and reopening the browser has the same effect.

Scripts tend to proliferate, and changes to background software (like VB) and the fact that many pages share the same engines and code make problems like this hard to diagnose.

I would be money it's a script problem.

I'm seeing it as well on one forum that uses ::