Screen tearing even with 144hz Monitor

Timmy777

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Screen tearing with a new BenQ 144hz, and even on my new BenQ 60hz monitor and even with v-sync on but less notable but still can see it. I shouldn't even be needing vysnc on with my gtx770 with my 144hz monitor i never go below 70 in my games. Could my GPU just be on the starting stage of failing?

You do know screen tearing can get WORSE at higher frame rates?

What's "i never go below 70" got to do withit? You are outputting frames at a rate inconsistent with your screen's refresh which is why VSYNC exists.

*You should look into G-Sync. In 2014 monitors will be coming out that solve all the issues at the same time. Currently, you either enable VSYNC to avoid screen tearing but then get lag or you disable it for less lag and get screen tearing.

G-Sync solves most of the issues in one go:
- screen tearing
- lag
- stutter (certain types)

**Since you get screen tearing, I recommend you run at 60FPS and enable VSYNC. If you could actually output over 144FPS then I'd recommend synching to that as it would reduce the lag, but since you can't you have to make a choice.

Timmy777

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
It says in there even with vysnc on i still get it, and when i put it on it stabilizes it at 60fps with vysnc on, and if im below 144hz i should not get screen tearing because im not going over 144hz. 70 fps is fine as long as it not over 144hz. Just dont know why even with vynsc on it dose set my fps to 60 and i still get it but a little less but its still there.

I kept missing the part where you had VSync on, sorry.

Regardless of what FRAPS reports, VSYNC is supposed to synch at 72FPS if 144FPS can't be maintained, then 36FPS if 72FPS can't be maintained.

However, try as I might I can't get more detail to explain why FRAPS doesn't then show 72FPS if that's the new VSYNC'd refresh rate.

ADAPTIVE VSYNC:
It's not enabled by default, but it automatically kicks off VSYNC if you fall below the target. Just make sure it's not set GLOBALLY, or per game or you'll always be out of synch.

So...
Not sure why you still get screen tearing with VSYNC enabled. Try my previous idea of setting the refresh back to 60Hz, monitor with FRAPS to ensure 60FPS is being maintained, then see if tearing is gone.

Again, look into G-Sync the next time you buy a new monitor (Q1 2014 and I think only Asus for six months or so). I'm hoping for Sony HDTV's and the PS4 to support this (hardware for screen, software for PS4); if so I'll buy both as I have a high-end gaming machine but want a PS4 for friends and family.

Timmy777

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
I put refresh rate to 60 and still wont cap at 60, but if i put vsync on and leave refresh rate to 144hz it stabilizes me at 60fps... But with vsync on i still see a little tearing, but i dont think i should still get screen tearing with a 144hz monitor, i don't know why its still happening. I don't want to play with vsync on either its aweful thats why i got a 144hz monitor.... to prevent this from happening. And adaptive dose not help at all tried it. Other people don't have this issues... Even with 60hz monitors.

Okay,

1) If you put the refresh rate to 60Hz and it doesn't cap at 60FPS, then what DOES it cap at?

As long as you can output MORE than 60FPS, with VSYNC ON you should be showing a solid 60FPS in FRAPS.

2) Yes, you bought a 144Hz monitor, but again if you don't enable VSYNC then you get screen tearing as the PC just puts out frames at a rate that doesn't match the monitor update.

Unless you get ABOVE 144FPS and also have VSYNC ON you'll have screen tearing. You seem to think buying a monitor with a high refresh rate solves the issue of screen tearing. As I've said it doesn't, and the problem can get WORSE with a higher refresh rate with no VSYNC enabled.

3) Adaptive Half Vsync:
When set to 144Hz this should synch at 72FPS which is an improvement over 60FPS slightly. It:
a) Will synch to 72Hz as long as your GPU can output MORE than 72FPS.
b) Will DISABLE VSYNC if you drop below 72FPS (screen tearing, but no transition stutter when dropping below/above VSYNC target. Lag is lessened as well.)

c) Causes screen tearing in pre-rendered cut scenes (30FPS video is detected as below VSYNC target thus VSYNC is turned off causing tearing. Otherwise I'd be using Adaptive VSync).

SUMMARY:
I'm not quite sure why you still get tearing, nor why you don't cap at 60FPS with 60Hz enabled. Capping at 60FPS in 144Hz mode should not be happening either.

Sounds like a driver or other software glitch. I'll try to help further. Please give me the monitor MODEL. I'll then help you to create questions to ask Benq support if you'd like and if I can't help.

And again, you will ALWAYS have screen tearing anytime VSYNC is not enabled. This can vary a lot depending on the scene, the game and the refresh rate. If you COULD synch to 144FPS (GPU can pump out above 144FPS) you'd eliminated screen tearing AND reduce lag considerably versus 60FPS.

Timmy777

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Got the new Benq 144hz Monitor that just came out the XL2420TE, but what other way can you synch to 144hz just go to nivida control and set to 144hz, or is there something else i missed i got to do? Without enabling vysnc?

Hi,
1) VSYNC ON in a game:
- with rare exceptions, VSYNC ON by the game is the same as forcing it in the NCP. I do it for a few games like Witcher 1 that have no in-game support but forcing works great.
Will synch to 144Hz (144FPS) only if the PC can output over 144FPS. Otherwise it resynchs to 72FPS, then 36FPS if 72FPS can't be maintained. FRAPS does not report correctly.

At 72FPS, the PC is basically waiting every other monitor refresh to update the screen.

2) Adaptive VSYNC:
a) Forced in NVidia Control Panel
b) VSYNC ON if PC outputs over 144FPS
c) VSYNC OFF if PC outputs any LESS than 144FPS

3) Adaptive HALF VSYNC:
Same as #2 except for 72FPS.

4) VSYNC OFF:
PC outputs as many frames as can be generated and monitor displays them as it gets them. You can have parts of THREE different frames on the same screen which causes screen tearing.

Other:
Basically, there are Pros and Cons to each method. VSYNC causes lag, but without it you have screen tearing.

The BEST experience would be to output over 144FPS with VSYNC ON. You'd have no screen tearing, and much less lag than at 60FPS.

Unfortunately, that's very difficult to achieve so you need to understand your options. My advice is to mainly stick with VSYNC ON in the game which is the default. You'll mostly synch to 72FPS likely (again FRAPS apparently misreports this).

I use Adaptive VSync in a few games where I keep dropping below 60FPS, however it does cause screen tearing in pre-rendered cut scenes so I hope they sort this out.

I game at 60FPS so I spend a lot of time tweaking games like Crysis 3 (an exception at 50FPS) so I rarely drop below the target VSYNC rate.

*G-Sync is an amazing solution requiring a new monitor in 2014, but it solves ALL OF THESE ISSUES by having the monitor have a variable refresh and just update when it's told so a 50FPS experience feels more like a solid 144FPS VSYNC'd experience (minimal lag, no screen tearing, minimal stutter).

Update:
You still seem a little confused. If you are, I'll create some links so you can educate yourself a little more about VSYNC and a few other things that may help you understand the basics of optimizing your game experience.

If you give me a list of up to FIVE games, I can also give you specific optimizing tips.

200 games in my list (don't ask) and they aren't there. Okay, here's my generic optimizing tips.

*I like the idea of Adaptive VSync but it also causes screen tearing in pre-rendered cut scenes (detects 30FPS as below the 60FPS target and disables VSYNC). You SHOULD force it on if you don't care about cut-scene tearing or it uses the game engine (will overwrite any in-game VSYNC choice). That way you won't resynch to 30FPS and get a stutter every time you drop below 60FPS.

1. Run FRAPS then the GAME
2. VSYNC is OFF
3. Tweak all the Shadows, anti-aliasing until you are above 60FPS at least 90% of the time, AND you find the optimal balance of settings to maintain this.
4. VSYNC ON and FRAPS off.
5. REPEAT as needed (more demanding level later or Multiplayer vs Singleplayer)

Some people prefer to put more into Anti-Aliasing. Some games have "ULTRA" settings such as Shadows which are nearly IDENTICAL to "HIGH."

Some games have VERY demanding settings such as DOF (Depth Of Field) which should be the first thing you disable.

There are guides for INI tweaking to fine-tune but I've given up on those for most games.

Anyway, after years of tweaking my main advice is to first identify your GOAL (i.e. 60FPS VSYNC'd) then tweak everything to optimize for that goal.

The WORST thing you can do is just crank up the visuals with no plan. Cheers.

A few notes, many of which have already been stated, and some are kind of backwards from most peoples experience.

1) Without v-sync, tearing occurs. Period. End of story.

2) Most people find that if their FPS are lower than their refresh rate, tearing is less noticeable. It is there, just not as noticeable.

Some people, who find this to be very unnoticeable, started a myth about how having FPS lower than your refresh rate, stops tearing. That is a myth. Stop spreading that.

3) You cannot get tearing with v-sync on, unless you are using multiple monitors. If you think you are still seeing tearing, the game may not allow v-sync (rare, but does happen) or some other fault is going on.

4) You may find that without v-sync, tearing is most noticeable when your FPS are close to an even dividend of your refresh rate (36/72/144 FPS with a 144hz monitor).

Given you noticed an even 60 FPS with v-sync on, makes me wonder if you have 144hz enabled, as you should see 72 FPS if you are locked at half your refresh, 60 FPS should never be steady with v-sync and a 144hz monitor. You may also be running into a game that isn't recognizing your refresh rate. You may want to check into that.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
I thought the same @bystander.

@Timmy777 Are you using a DVI-D cable for your monitor? or are you using another standard of DVI? Also, make sure you're using the DVI-D port of your GPU to ensure you're getting the maximum refresh rate of your monitor.

bystander is correct.

Just a couple points to help narrow down the issue if there is one:

1) Please run something NOT very demanding that you can get over 144FPS in, FRAPS ON and turn VSYNC OFF. Confirm it shows MORE than 144FPS, then turn VSYNC ON. Do you see a solid 144FPS now?

2) Repeat the above for 60FPS after changing the refresh rate (1920x1080 @60Hz). Does it show a solid 60FPS with FRAPS?

3) Confirm your display appears in DEVICE MANAGER (not just "generic monitor").

Advice:
My advice is basically to game at 72FPS by the following method.
*FRAPS seems to incorrectly report the frame rate if you drop below the target VSYNC rate. For example, at 144Hz you should be synching at 72FPS if you're outputting MORE than 72FPS but LESS than 144FPS.

1. Monitor to 144Hz.
2. VSYNC OFF (can force in NCP if needed)
3. FRAPS ON
4. Tweak game settings until you're above 72FPS at least 90% of the time.
5. VSYNC ON.

Now you have 144Hz so smoother DESKTOP experience, but most games will synch to 72FPS and you can forget about changing the refresh rate every time you play a game.

I'm a little baffled by your problem.

I'm almost 100% certain a graphics card can't fail in such a way that VSYNC doesn't work so I think testing the card is a waste of time. It's fine.

Troubleshooting:
1) Try a different monitor
2) Try several different games
3) Try a different card, or just use the iGPU in your CPU if you have one (remove graphics card completely).
4) Make sure you are ABOVE the target refresh (60Hz or 144Hz)
5) *Observe with FRAPS that it is LOCKED to the target refresh (i.e. 60FPS at 60Hz).

It sounds to me that VSYNC is actually working and you are seeing some other effect because you said it was "less notable but still can see it."

Is there an issue with your graphics card?
Unlikely.

Monitor?
Possibly.

It's something OTHER than VSYNC?
Possibly.

Don't confuse the guy. It doesn't matter what your refresh rate is, without v-sync, games tear.

Agreed.
He's already said he has tried it with VSYNC ON and with it off. It does NOT matter what your monitor refresh is, when you have VSYNC ON it is synched and there should be no screen tearing. Cut and dry.
- at 144Hz you synch to 144FPS if your PC can output over 144FPS
- at 144Hz you synch to 72FPS if your PC an output Greater than 72FPS but LESS than 144FPS
- 60Hz works the same way but can drop to 30FPS (or even 20FPS, then 15FPS)

Whether he's at 144Hz or 60Hz has nothing to do with whether VSYNC works, it only affects at what refresh rate you synch to.

Again, VSYNC ON should mean no screen tearing.

Kewlx25

Distinguished

I wish I had a 144hz monitor to try out with, just stuck with a standar 60hz LCD, but back when I had a CRT, going from 60hz to 75hz dramatically reduced perceived tearing, then alter going to 85hz made it very very minor. I can only assume 144hz makes it near imperceivable, but I could easily be wrong.

Unfortunately, I really need to upgrade my memory, which requires upgrading my motherboard, so I might as well get a new CPU.. no money for a new monitor right now.