Screen tearing-refresh rate-flickering question

Jlavigne

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
Hi guys!
I have a question in regards to display refresh rates and some flickering I’m seeing while gaming.

Usually I can see a horizontal line that cuts the screen in half or almost. There is no change in colors, no black spots or any weird distortion. Just a line that appears. It mostly appears while I’m using my mouse while gaming. For example, my character will look ahead and I will tilt the view with my mouse, then sometimes a cut line will appear. As if the refresh cannot follow the movement… or as if there is something wrong with the buffer/image rendering… anyway some sort of screen tearing that is very annoying and would like GONE FOR EVER! ;)

I’m not sure I’m explaining it right, or using the proper terms… I tried getting a screen shot, but it doesn’t stay on long enough… like a fraction of a second.

I use an 21.5'' Samsung LCD with IPS panel, 1920x1080, 2ms, model S22B350H. Or could the issue be the HDMI cable?

Thank you for your help! :)
J

Solution
Yeah, that sounds like screen tearing. If you want to prevent it you need to enable v-sync. If you have v-sync on, you probably want to adjust your graphics settings such that you can maintain fps consistently above 60 fps.

Jlavigne

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
Hi Tj,
Thank you for the answer. So, enabling the v-sync option would help solve my issue? I can say that I've turned it off on my gpu settings and in game options.

But if I enable it, how do I maintain fps consistently above 60 fps? I do I modify this or make sure I have the correct settings?

Cheers!
J

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, eliminating screen tearing is literally the entire purpose of v sync. The reason that you want to maintain over 60 fps is that v sync locks your framerate to multiples or fractions of your refresh rate. So with a 60 Hz monitor if your fps drops below 60, it will immediately drop down to 30 fps until you can get back up to 60 fps. It'll still work, but jumping between 30 and 60 fps is not desirable and might make the game feel stuttery. You could always try to run the game at a steady 30 fps, but most people aim for 60.

As far as getting above 60 fps, you'll have to play around with in-game graphics options and see what fps you get. If your CPU is too weak or you don't have enough RAM, you may not be able to achieve consistent 60+ FPS no matter what options you choose.