Question Screen tearing ?

Jul 2, 2024
I've just started to notice lines/warps in my screen's image when gaming. I have tried screen tearing tests and they don't appear to show anything abnormal and I have also noticed that it often does not affect the whole screen. Does anyone know what this is?. I have only noticed this recently and I have had my setup for a year now.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
this wouldnt be caused by msi afterburner....?

I don't know, I can't think of any setting in AB that would cause that. If you close the app does screen still tear?

What's your PC specs and monitor? Reason i asked was to figure out the sort of performance your computer has and if monitor can keep up. Screen tearing happens if frames aren't in sync, like too many fps above refresh rate is a common cause. Vsync can help with that as it limits fps to the refresh rate of the monitor but vsync can also introduce peripheral input lag which is why VRR (Gsync/Freesync) is a thing to try tackle this, albeit VRR doesn't limit fps so can still get tearing if frames can exceed VRR range which is to the maximum Hz of the monitor. You either then manually limit fps 1~2 fps lower or use vsync in conjunction as it'll only enable if frames go over.

Jul 2, 2024
I don't know, I can't think of any setting in AB that would cause that. If you close the app does screen still tear?

What's your PC specs and monitor? Reason i asked was to figure out the sort of performance your computer has and if monitor can keep up. Screen tearing happens if frames aren't in sync, like too many fps above refresh rate is a common cause. Vsync can help with that as it limits fps to the refresh rate of the monitor but vsync can also introduce peripheral input lag which is why VRR (Gsync/Freesync) is a thing to try tackle this, albeit VRR doesn't limit fps so can still get tearing if frames can exceed VRR range which is to the maximum Hz of the monitor. You either then manually limit fps 1~2 fps lower or use vsync in conjunction as it'll only enable if frames go over.
im using a 4070 with a samsung odyssey G5

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I don't know which G5 you have specifically but it should have Freesync you'd enable in monitor osd and then Gsync in NvidiaCP should be available when using Displayport. Ulmb doesn't work with VRR so make sure that isn't on instead of Freesync.