[SOLVED] Screw Stuck

SidRock

Honorable
May 11, 2015
I'm trying to remove a screw from a drive cage and it just keeps spinning in place and won't come out. There is no nut on the other side. The screw is not out far enough to fit a phillips head or even box cutter blade between the screwhead and the metal case. I have also tried pushing down on the thread part while I unscrew the head to no avail. I don't have enough room to fit a hammer. I put some graphite spray on the back which didn't help either. Help! Thanks

Solution
Can you point me to what I need to do that?
You will need something like a 1/4" electrical drill and a 1/8" metal drill bit.
Drill straight threw the + slot on the screw.
You may need to hold the back side with a vice grip pliers to keep the screw from turning.
If you do not have such tools available, look for an alternative.
I might add that if you do not have a vice grip pliers, that is one of the most useful tools ever.
One should cost about $10.
I think with such pliers, you should be able to grip the head of the screw and pull it out with force.

See if you can't take the case to a shop where they can remove the screw for you.
A metal or auto body shop would likely be able to.

Ralston18

Titan
Are you able to see the end of the screw from the "nut side"? Push the end of the screw using a tooth pick.

If the screw is just spinning and threads are not engaged - try a magnet to lift out the screw. ( Be careful with the magnet and surrounding electronics....)

Or a piece of really sticky tape to adhere to the screw head.

Also, a clear, strategically angled photograph or two may help solicit additional ideas.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

SidRock

Honorable
May 11, 2015
I thought the toothpick idea was pretty clever but the toothpick just rotates around the back of the screw and no matter how hard I push it doesn't budge. I don't have a strong magnet. Not enough of the screw is exposed to get anything around it the head - it is flush with the case. I've attached images (yes I know my case is dusty). As you can see, I can see both sides of the screw head and its threads well; the drive cage prevents me from taking a hammer to it. I need this cage out or I can't fit one of the 30 series graphics cards should one ever become available. Thanks for that link and your guys time!!!
ombOZsu.jpeg
az4vPUv.jpeg
ZGdGJ8f.jpeg
qGH6oLg.jpeg

SidRock

Honorable
May 11, 2015
Just to clarify, the screw threads to the screw I'm trying to remove are closer to the bottom of the image on the last 2 images posted. The thing closer to the left side of the image is part of the drive cage. I realize it's not centered - apologies.

The screw is stuck in there so tape or pushing hard from the back haven't been working.

Last edited:
Can you point me to what I need to do that?
You will need something like a 1/4" electrical drill and a 1/8" metal drill bit.
Drill straight threw the + slot on the screw.
You may need to hold the back side with a vice grip pliers to keep the screw from turning.
If you do not have such tools available, look for an alternative.
I might add that if you do not have a vice grip pliers, that is one of the most useful tools ever.
One should cost about $10.
I think with such pliers, you should be able to grip the head of the screw and pull it out with force.

See if you can't take the case to a shop where they can remove the screw for you.
A metal or auto body shop would likely be able to.

Reactions: SidRock
Solution

SidRock

Honorable
May 11, 2015
I ended up getting a 3/8" electrical drill and bought screw extractor drill bits and together these got it out. They were really stuck in there - was very odd. Thanks so much everyone!

TRENDING THREADS