Screws needed to install fans on both sides of AIO liquid cooler

SNEAKYZACK

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
I'm getting a NZXT Kraken cooler and was wanting to put fans of both sides of the radiator. I know this isn't necessary but id like to do this anyways as I plan to OC and complete liquid cooling isn't an option. Does anyone know what screws I can use that will be long enough to hold the radiator and fans together as the ones it comes with are only long enough to hold fans on one side?

Solution
Which Kraken are we talking about? You should be getting 4x4 sets of screws that 6-32
8106_16_nzxt-kraken-x52-liquid-cpu-cooler-review.jpg

so you can have two fans on each side of the radiator.

Please don't do what that dimwit on The Verge did, by running the long screw through the radiators sans the fans. It'll only damage the fins and the flow channels, possibly even inducing a leak. The screw provided in the Kraken(though we don't know which one you're looking at) will be long enough to go through fan frame, then screw into the radiators threading without going all the way through.

Lutfij

Titan
Which Kraken are we talking about? You should be getting 4x4 sets of screws that 6-32
8106_16_nzxt-kraken-x52-liquid-cpu-cooler-review.jpg

so you can have two fans on each side of the radiator.

Please don't do what that dimwit on The Verge did, by running the long screw through the radiators sans the fans. It'll only damage the fins and the flow channels, possibly even inducing a leak. The screw provided in the Kraken(though we don't know which one you're looking at) will be long enough to go through fan frame, then screw into the radiators threading without going all the way through.

Solution

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I think most radiators are M4 screw threads (could be M3, but think M4). You can find some really fancy ones online, or even at your local hardware store. I've taken stuff in and test-fit screws and the like when I know I need something specific for my use.

Please don't do what that dimwit on The Verge did, by running the long screw through the radiators sans the fans. It'll only damage the fins and the flow channels, possibly even inducing a leak.

Yes, absolutely correct, although many radiator manufacturers are somewhat keen to place the lateral channels in a way that screws won't puncture if they're run through, but this was a huge issue 10-12 years ago. People were popping holes in radiators all over the place because they just found whatever screws and bolts and threaded them down as far as they would go.

SNEAKYZACK

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

I was planning on getting the x72 Kraken and don't even get me started on how stupid the verge was. I still cant believe it took them a week to take down the video.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I tested the X72; its a decent cooler, but pricey and beaten by the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R which costs almost $40 less.

The NZXT is a bit better looking, aesthetic wise, though. That infinity mirror face is rather pretty.

SNEAKYZACK

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

I'm trying to sync all the rgb is this build and i'm building it in the NZXT H700i case so i wanted it all to match. Plus I really like the infinity mirror design.