SCSI vs RAID

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

you mean 320 MB/s? mm let me think mmm.. no
considering a 32bit PCI bus hmmm or even a 64bit couldn't give you that bandwidth..and I'd be hard pressed to find a desktop application to use that kinda bandwidth... it's a big no. We've had this discussion in some other threads. Let the idea of SCSI go and you'll be better off. For the desktop system, SCSI is minimum performance gains at MAXimum cost when comparing top of the line SCSI with top of the line IDE drives.

When you start comparing SCSI and IDE hardware RAID the price/performance difference becomes exponential for the same Gig. Compare it to these Fasttrak cards even though I know you could accomplish the same with either interface and NT, but still, these are so vastly different in cost; it's not even comparable.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

smn198

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No limit on money? Then go for 4 of those new 15000RPM drives (I think they r segate) and a SCSI RAID controller.

Opps didn't read the guy below b4 I posted

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=1686" target="_new">System spec.</A> Ideas appreciated.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by smn198 on 01/07/01 08:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

smn198

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How much money you planning on spending??? What else you going to put in?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=1686" target="_new">System spec.</A> Ideas appreciated.

smn198

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As most SCSI disk have a much higher RPM they have smaller access times which is the most important thing for every application I can think of apart from AV editing and certain server applications. Also as has been metioned b4, SCSI to SCSI transfers don't use the CPU like IDE. I wouldn't bother going for a SCSI RAID but instead get a SCSI HDD with a small seek time and get it from a company who knows how to optimise the cache access properly. I know IBM is good for IDE but not too sure in SCSI

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=1686" target="_new">System spec.</A> Ideas appreciated.

WildRhino

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was going to spend around £2,500 on the base unit ( I already have a Panasonic LC50S TFT). It now seems that spending a lot on more than one SCSI is a pure waste of cash and Chord recommends a high end IDE to SCSI. The machine will be used mainly for gaming - Half Life, Counter Strike, Firearms, and also internet. I just want a super fast machine.

The proposed specs are:

T-Bird 1.2 gig (133)
Asus mobo(these seem to be the mobo of choice)
128*2meg PC2100 Crucial CL2.5(is this the only clock latency they will come in?) (2*128 or 1*256?)
Plextor 32/12/10 (not sure about the SCSI version)
Elsa Gladiac Ultra 64meg
Seagate Cheetah x15 18.2 gig 15,000
Adaptec 29160n
Soundblaster Live! value
NEC floppy
v.92 modem (not sure who manufactures at this time)
Ethernet card ( is 3com ne good?)
no preference on case ( I don't think it will need special cooling)
Windoze Millenium (is w98SE faster for games?)

Feedback re spec is appreciated.

The time frame for this machine is constantly slipping due to the lack of the Athlon-C.

smn198

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd go for the SCSI CD if your getting that HDD but SCSI has no performance advantage in games. I'd save the money and go for IBMs drives if it is gaming performance you are after. Also win98SE is faster for games. In one of Toms recent reviews he ran the memory you mention at CAS2 (set in bios) with no stability issues. Also you needn't wait for a Athlon-C if you are happy to connect the L1 bridges and underclock the multiplier and overclock the FSB. This shouldn't put any additional strain on any of the CPU (correct me if I'm wrong) as the cache is on-die anyway.

If you decide to scrap the SCSI get a broadband internet connection with the money you save.

G

"As most SCSI disk have a much higher RPM they have smaller access times which is the most important thing for every application I can think of apart from AV editing and certain server applications."

It's not an awe-defining performance difference and very much like paying 5 grand to give your car 15-20 more horsepower when working on a system where you open one or two or even three apps and work in one then the other.. I know my responses are cost oriented and the original response was cost really isn't a factor. It's just hard for me to say ok yeah go spend 600$+ with a strait face. :)

The drives really shine in servers where the lower access times in conjuction with bigger caches and controller caches can add up to saved time and ability to handle heavy access. And they do create a heat management issue especially in a mid-tower.

"SCSI to SCSI transfers don't use the CPU like IDE"

I think you mean memory addressing. Of course, yes SCSI has been using DMA for mm long time. And compared to PIO where the CPU has to route request, this is true. But times have changed, and this is just not true anymore with the UDMA specs and support in the OS for IDE dma. Especially now with the integrated or add-on dma controller cards.

So hey!! NO budget then do it! Grab that Cheetah X15 and burn it baby. Then you can say you got it!! Hard for me to justify that cost, but who am I to judge the color of a man's Ferrari? I mean it's a FERRARI! But if you get fragged online, it's likely that dialup and not your hard drive. I'm out and hope this all makes SCSI and IDE owners feel better.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

TRENDING THREADS