Scythe Rolls Out Lori CPU Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan

Practically all PC hardware could be described as "typical" after the first few new devices that introduce a new design idea.

Most "typical" folded-over HSFs have all their pipes coming through one single side while this one has two pipes on one side and three on the other going through the same fin stack instead of each having their own smaller stack, which actually is not that common.

D

Deleted member 217926

Scythe coolers are generally very good for the money. I just wonder why they called it Lori? Amy and Christy didn't want the job? :p

decembermouse

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I don't understand why they chose not to attach the heatsink fins directly to the block that makes contact with the CPU. By putting more distance between the fins and the block with long heatpipes, the heat will have farther to travel than it would if they had simply attached the fins directly to the block. They could still have used heatpipes with this design, too... it just doesn't make sense. Maybe it's supposed to have more visual appeal this way?

InvalidError

Titan

Heatpipes and copper are more efficient at moving heat around than solid aluminum - even the worst modern heatpipe designs outperform most solid-aluminum designs, which is why solid aluminum heatsinks are nearly extinct beyond low-power applications. Copper is too heavy and expensive to make cost-effective all-copper heatsinks so we have copper heatpipes with aluminum fin stacks to balance cost, weight and performance.

bassbeast

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
Practically all PC hardware could be described as "typical" after the first few new devices that introduce a new design idea.Most "typical" folded-over HSFs have all their pipes coming through one single side while this one has two pipes on one side and three on the other going through the same fin stack instead of each having their own smaller stack, which actually is not that common.
What we need is a "low cost cooler shoot out" with all the $15-$40 coolers tested. That way those of us that build on a budget will know what is the best bang for the buck. ATM I personally use Coolermaster N520s but I'm open to better solutions. How about it Tom?

Status
Not open for further replies.