Question SD Card in Retro PC only shows 33mb?

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
I am trying to get an OS on a Retro sysem with a Sd card,Gigabyte GA 7VAXP REV 1.0.But it is only showing 33mb for a 64gb o_OI have preveisly used a CF card with no problem,that was allso a 64gb .Why does it work for a CF card and not for a SD CARD?o_OThe SD card was formated Fat 32 the CF card was EX Fat,How can i make the sd card nearer to the real size it realy is

What reader?

SD compatibility depends on the reader, whereas CF doesn't because it is IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics, so the smarts to understand the drive is in the drive itself instead of the reader)

SD is supposed to go up to 2GB (or 4GB with special formatting) but often SD readers only read up to 1GB because larger wasn't available when they were made
SDHC goes up to 32GB
SDXC goes up to 2TB
SDUC goes up to 128TB

Let's just say a SDXC card in a SD reader will give unpredictable results

Reactions: Wishbone1

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
What reader?

SD compatibility depends on the reader, whereas CF doesn't because it is IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics, so the smarts to understand the drive is in the drive itself instead of the reader)

SD is supposed to go up to 2GB (or 4GB with special formatting) but often SD readers only read up to 1GB because larger wasn't available when they were made
SDHC goes up to 32GB
SDXC goes up to 2TB
SDUC goes up to 128TB

1PCS SD To 3.5" 40Pin Male IDE Hard Disk Drive HDD Converter Card Adapter i think it is a genral one an unbranded one.Yes u have read about the CF with the ide.I get your point about drives back in the day being a lot smaller.So what is the answer?What it eswas saying was it saw it was​

Master BA ATA 33 33MB.?​

At first it did not show up then i decided to pull the card out a bit,then it reconized it. At first i put the card in as far as it could go and it did not see it.​

If it only claims to be SD then you can only use SDSC cards in it.
If it claims to be SDHC then you could get a compatible 32GB card.
If you want to use your SDXC card then you'll have to get an adapter that actually advertises SDXC compatibility.

Sometimes new firmware can add compatibility with larger cards, but good luck with that when you bought an unbranded device.

I would suggest forgetting about SD and using only industrial CF cards featuring DMA transfers, because without that feature you would be stuck with slow-as-a-snail PIO mode which will cause all kinds of stutters and pauses (because the single-core CPU itself then has to pause everything to move the data into memory)

You might have to go into bios and set the geometry of the drive yourself, heads cylinders sectors and so on.
The bios would only have info of typical drives of the time.
Also I would try with a 2Gb Sd card to see if it would see that automatically.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
You might have to go into bios and set the geometry of the drive yourself, heads cylinders sectors and so on.
Funny you should say that i say a video on you tube and the guy said down load WHATIDE i did and put it on an external floppy drive . of couse you can,t boot off a usb on a Retro system.If i put it on a cd would that work?.I though it would be straight forward like on Phils computer lab
View: https://youtu.be/RWYS5X1wSzU?t=101

What reader?

SDHC goes up to 32GB
SDXC goes up to 2TB
SDUC goes up to 128TB

So it needs to be SDHC ?
If it only claims to be SD then you can only use SDSC cards in it.
If it claims to be SDHC then you could get a compatible 32GB card.
If you want to use your SDXC card then you'll have to get an adapter that actually advertises SDXC compatibility.

Sometimes new firmware can add compatibility with larger cards, but good luck with that when you bought an unbranded device.

I would suggest forgetting about SD and using only industrial CF cards featuring DMA transfers, because without that feature you would be stuck with slow-as-a-snail PIO mode which will cause all kinds of stutters and pauses (because the single-core CPU itself then has to pause everything to move the data into memory)
Compatible with MMC system specification 2.0 , SD Memory Card specification 1.0, SDHC Memory Card.
Compatible with DOS, Linux, Windows 98SE, Me, 2000, XP and Vista.
Support PIO, Multi-Word DMA and Ultra DMA data transfer mode.

Last edited:

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
I got in there
I got in there and this is what it said
Cylinder. 65
Head. 16
Precomp. 0
Landing Zone. 64
Sector. 63
What does all that tell you?
I can,t do anymore untel, i get the WHATIDE on there
Would it work if i put it on a dvd? The other thing is that it is one of the tiny SD cards that goes in to an adapter ,should i go for the biger one that goes in the card redder like the one Phil is using.

I can,t do anymore untel, i get the WHATIDE on there
Would it work if i put it on a dvd? The other thing is that it is one of the tiny SD cards that goes in to an adapter ,should i go for the biger one that goes in the card redder like the one Phil is using.
The bios is going to report whatever, the point is that you have to put in the correct info.

If the target PC can boot from cd/dvd then download hirensbootcd it has tons of dos programs including HDD info tools .
Or choose a live linux cd for old PCs, linux will give you a lot of ways to read data and write it to the internal HDD.

If you can connect the SD card to your main system you can also read the info from windows.
For the disk in the picture you can see
sectors 512
tracks 63
cylinders 255
THESE ARE NOT VALUES FOR YOUR DISK.

I just checked on my system and it does also list sd cards and shows their values.
windows-sysinfo-hdd-sector-size.png

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
The bios is going to report whatever, the point is that you have to put in the correct info.

If the target PC can boot from cd/dvd then download hirensbootcd it has tons of dos programs including HDD info tools .
Or choose a live linux cd for old PCs, linux will give you a lot of ways to read data and write it to the internal HDD.

If you can connect the SD card to your main system you can also read the info from windows.
For the disk in the picture you can see
sectors 512
tracks 63
cylinders 255
THESE ARE NOT VALUES FOR YOUR DISK.

I just checked on my system and it does also list sd cards and shows their values.
windows-sysinfo-hdd-sector-size.png

Thanks for all that i will give it a go ,thanks again.That link you gave me for Hirensbootcd windows said it was a virus.:(I got it on Internat Achieve ,I also got Super Fdisk on Major Geeks site :)

Last edited by a moderator: