Seagate 1.5Gb/s, 3Gb/s jumper setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDes101

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Hi guys.

I’m busy building a pc for someone then i ran into this.

I have a gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3 mother board.
And im going to be connecting a Seagate Barracuda 320GB Serial ATA II (SATA2) Plus hard drive, ST3320620AS

On the hard drive it has a jumper setting:- no jumper - 3Gb/s and then jumper on for 1.5Gb/s. :?:

First, what is this?

If i set the jumper to 3Gb/s will the mother board pick it up automatically? And i dont have to change anything.

Cause i read in the manual for the motherboard that i will need to set it in the bios and install the correct drivers is this true? Will the hard drive work at 3Gb/s, do i have to worry about changing the bios setting and drivers?

After how do i check if it is running at 3Gb/s?

Last question is it better to use the Gigabyte SATA controller or the Intel SATA controller? Is there a difference?

Thanks alot.

abasoufiane

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
all you have to do is to remove that jumper to enable sata >II that is 3gb/s.

i have the same harddrive and gygabite 965p ds4... just remove it and you are good to go. you're motherboard support sata II as well so don't worry.

just install the drivers that come with your cd MB although there is no such drivers for sataII unless if you are talking about a raid setup i guess. windows XP pack 2 or vista recognize the harddrive with sata II enabled immediatly.

KDes101

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Thank you for reply.

Will the motherboard recognize the Hard drive on boot to install vita? I only have the one Seagate SATA2 Drive. Will i be able to install windows?

Or will i need to do something in bios, for windows on install to find it?

Thanks again mate.

abasoufiane

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
you don't need anything, as long as you're not using raid or some weird stuff, just remove that jumper, plug in your hardrive, and you will be able to see it in your bios instantly and proceed with instaling vista or xp with no problem.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Hi guys.

I’m busy building a pc for someone then i ran into this.

I have a gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3 mother board.
And im going to be connecting a Seagate Barracuda 320GB Serial ATA II (SATA2) Plus hard drive, ST3320620AS

On the hard drive it has a jumper setting:- no jumper - 3Gb/s and then jumper on for 1.5Gb/s. :?:

First, what is this?

If i set the jumper to 3Gb/s will the mother board pick it up automatically? And i dont have to change anything.

Cause i read in the manual for the motherboard that i will need to set it in the bios and install the correct drivers is this true? Will the hard drive work at 3Gb/s, do i have to worry about changing the bios setting and drivers?

After how do i check if it is running at 3Gb/s?

Last question is it better to use the Gigabyte SATA controller or the Intel SATA controller? Is there a difference?

Thanks alot.

Quite simply, if the Sata port supports Sata 3 Gbs then take the jumper off, to best take advantage of NCQ and burst speeds. The MB port falls back to 1.5 Gbs if negotiation fails at 3 Gbs. Nothing changes on the port controller side, the jumper just limits the HD mode for Sata 1.5 Gbs ports. If the drive is left in 3Gbs mode on a port that is only Sata 1.5 Gbs then corruption can occur or the drive can disappear entirely.

There will be no noticeable difference in speed in normal use, heavy drive multitasking does take advantage of the extra functions of Sata 3 Gbs though. I guess a system utility could identify the Sata status.

There's no difference in Bios settings between Sata 1.5 Gbs and 3 Gbs, nor is there a difference in drivers. There IS a difference in the drivers and bios settings between operating the drives in IDE or AHCI mode, but that's not related to Sata speed.

I prefer to use the Intel ports with native Windows drivers first then move on to the third-party port when enough drives are added. The extra ports do tend to work better for hot-swapping, getting the Intel ports to work in AHCI (with proper hot-swapping) can be tricky sometimes.

Just a quick note, make sure that the SATAI or SATAII whichever you end up using are enabled in the bios, as they are different chipsets, and be sure you have the drive plugged into the correct corresponding colored plug on the board. I believe that by default, the SATAI chipset is enabled, and you must enable the SATAII if you plan on using it.

abasoufiane

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
i have almost the same M.B with the exact bios, there is no sataII or I in the bios setting just plug in your sata II Harddrive (after takingg off the jumper and you are good to go) , i just forgot which utility made me see that i have indeed sata II enabled , just rest assured my friend that you are all set to have sata II enabled automaticaly.

just a question please, may i know which ram do you have , the speed and the name please ? cus those moherboard are picky about rams and i'm thinkiing of adding some memory.

KDes101

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Well the machine is up and running and all seems fine.
I would assume that its running SATA2. Thanks to every one that replied.

To the RAM question, i put in two 1GB DDR2 800 Transcend JetRam memory modules and i ran the Microsoft memory diagnostic tool, it found no problems with the ram. And so far so good it seems that the mother board is happy with the RAM. No blue screen yet (touch wood).

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I have the 1.3 ds3 and the same HDD. I took the jumper off first thing and plugged the drive into the Intel ports and it worked right off. Use the Intel ports first, they're a little faster in the benchmarks I've seen, especially if you use the IDE port for an optical drive or something. The IDE and the purple Gigabyte ports use the same chipset and performance suffers if you use them both. As for RAM, I'm using A-DATA DDR2-800 RAM from Newegg, the ones with the red heat spreaders, and they work perfect at rated speed/timings and 1.8v. Memtest86 passed for 12 hours.

westchaser

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
My new hard drive (Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB) has a similarly marked jumper .. except that it's labeled as such (the brackets represent the jumper position):

Limit to 1.5 Gb/s . . [. .]
3.0 Gb.s . . . .
However, out of the box, my drive had jumper set to [. .] . .

QUESTION:
Since the jumper is set to a seemingly unlabeled "do-nothing" state, shall I leave it as-is, assuming that means 3.0Gb/s? Additionally, how may I know for certain that my SATA connector is properly (and fully) managing this SATA-II (3.0Gb/s) setting?

I found this excerpt from Seagate's site but the "SeaTool" did not appear to specifically reference SATA-II:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=install-troubleshoot-sata-non-mac&vgnextoid=2b089d2c3c90e010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD#win

How To Install and Troubleshoot Serial ATA (SATA) Hard Drives:

Serial ATA interface disk drives are designed for easy installation. It is not necessary to set any jumpers, terminators, or other settings on this drive for proper operation. The jumper block adjacent to the SATA interface connector on SATA 150MB/s drives is for factory use only. The jumper block adjacent to the SATA interface connector on SATA 300MB/s drives can be used to force the drive into SATA 150MB/s mode for use with older SATA controllers that only work with SATA 150MB/s drives.

With a Serial ATA interface, each disk drive has its own cable that connects directly to a Serial ATA host adapter or a Serial ATA port on your motherboard. Unlike Parallel ATA, there is no master-slave relationship between drives that use a Serial ATA interface.

You can use a Serial ATA drive in the same system with Parallel ATA drives as long as both interfaces are supported on the motherboard or with a host adapter. This makes it easy to add Serial ATA compatibility to your existing system without removing existing Parallel ATA disk drives.

Thanks!
West

bishmarck

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
finally found some of you having questions about this harddriver. Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB, i have the same here in my pc and did not notice about what to do with this jumper. as ive been reading those replies, did not put me any concern about that jumper [..].. which is set to 1.5 only...

now ive got a question that will make you people grasp for air what happen to my Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB, hours ago after using my pc, my daughter told me that when she turned the pc power ON, at boot, my pc stayed on that part showing only the boot screen of the motherboard, my mobo is an intel desktop board. when she told me about that, i thought she accidentally pushed F2 for the BIOS. but when i was about using it, i came out that there is something wrong. the light for the harddrive just lit on a continues RED light.... always on the boot screen of the motherboard... even i tried to open the BIOS it didnt come out... so i tried to remove all sata cables on the pc, then i found out what really happened, Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB <<--- i think that my drive is DEAD, it is not being recognized by the mobo and even it successfully booted to windows i dont see the harddrive on the windows xp itself, even in the BIOS it wont show up... this harddrive i have is NEW. so what could be the possible reason why my harddrive gone out like DEAD..... :fou: :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.