Seagate 1.5TB Drives Randomly Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Toms review setup was win server 2003. Looks like xp has no problem with the drive but linux, mac os x (journalled) and vista exhibit problems.

G

I had drive of 1TB and 1.5TB on AS series and as far that went well. I was told by Seagate to return the drives since the 32MB Cache was failing on 1TB drive and on 1.5TB drive this freezing issue was on screen.

HAppy ending on everything I quess atm using Samsung and Hitachi hardware and as fat I have checked ES Tool, HUTIL & hitachi side Feature tools and drive capabilities. I am pretty sure all my next hardware will be from these companies.

sunangel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
I have the Seagate 1.5TB drive and am not experiencing any issues relating to freezing. I use Vista x64 and ACHI (non-RAID) and something seems to always be accessing the drive and I can't find out what it is. Other than that it has been performing nicely.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Sounds to me certain feature set in the drive's firmware is causing a problem in some setups. For an average user may not utilize those features may not experience it.

Most RAID controllers make use of the NCQ features so might be a bug in the firmware on how it handle those calls in conjunction with the 32meg buffer.

hok

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I didn't read the whole thread on seagate. Does this happen to 1 TB ddrives of the same batch? I just bought one!

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]sunangel[/nom]I have the Seagate 1.5TB drive and am not experiencing any issues relating to freezing. I use Vista x64 and ACHI (non-RAID) and something seems to always be accessing the drive and I can't find out what it is. Other than that it has been performing nicely.[/citation]
Vista's autodefrag?

G

Can you please check this comment taken from Amazon?

I have this drive and it works great. A couple of people are saying that this drive is slow or pauses when transferring files or playing media. They need to check to make sure that there are no jumpers set. This drive normally operates at 300 MB/sec. See below from Seagate's page:

"It is not necessary to set any terminators or other settings on this drive for proper operation. The jumper block adjacent to the SATA interface connector on SATA 150MB/sec drives is for factory use only. The jumper block adjacent to the SATA interface connector on SATA 300MB/sec drives can be used to force the drive into SATA 150MB/sec mode for use with older SATA controllers that only work with SATA 150MB/sec drives."

The jumper setting can be seen here [...]

If your system is sata 1 then you will need this jumper set. If your system is sata 1 and the jumper is not set that could be causing the pause problem since the drive is trying to send the data faster than the system can accept it. If you system is sata 2 and the jumper is set then this could cause slow read/writes.

G

Regarding that, I have legacy controllers so I made sure that the drive could be forced to 150Mb/s before I bought it and I made sure to set the jumper appropriately before I installed it. I'm not saying this can't be an issue with older SATA controllers but it's not something that can be fixed by setting the jumper at least since I'm experiencing the problem.

G

Seagate have a fix and will be relauching the drive in 3 weeks time after a protracted and unpleasant support call they buckled and dropped the information. If you have the drive already you can get the new firmware version from them directly and flash it, there is no download link you need to contact the call centre and get them to email it to you directly.

pleblanc

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I've had 7 of these drives connected to a 3Ware 9550SX-16ML Controller in a RAID 5 since October without any issues whatsoever. In the last week I've had two of them "Time Out" / Fall Off Line. Thankfully I was able to get the array rebuilt in time to not loose any data **Knock On Wood**. I contacted Seagate and haven't heard back but expect will get the same "We do not support RAID" response.

All of my drives are ST31500341AS with a firmware of SD17. These were all bought from New Egg at the same time and created the RAID with all of the drives (no expansion as of yet). I hope that they do get this worked out SOON and at least help us out otherwise I will wait until they get new firmware and just RMA them all one at a time!

WhyLee

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Last week I bought a Maxtor Basics External Hard Drive with 1,5TB (in it is a Seagate harddisk). Yesterday I partitioned it under Debian Linux. I was using Ext3-FS. I copied moved 150Gig data from my primary harddisk to that external 1,5TB-harddisk. Suddenly it freezed. I rebooted. System could not mount the drive, told me to run a filesystem check on it. I did that and after correcting filesystem errors it freezed again. I disconnected the usb cable and the power cable from the external drive and connected it again.
result: the system does not recognise that the usb-drive is connected again.
ir behaves like i plug in a usb-cable with nothing on the other side.
what can i do now?

G

best solution: dont buy seegate and maxtor HDDs i already lose 2 1TB Barracuda 7200.11 so im not bother maxtor and seegate is out of my list

G

my new 1.5 TB SEAGATE Hardrive is now saying it is bad by the way iI have only had it for 2 weeks. so not fair. I just want this computer to work.
I cant find any FIRMWARE...
this is a simple home computer not some fancy comp for a bussiness
help
Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies.