Question Seagate 18TB EXOS X18 problems

replaysMike

Honorable
Jan 29, 2016
Has anyone else tried this drive out yet? I ordered one which worked for 2 days then died. Computer wouldn’t even post with the drive attached after that. Returned it and got a second one and it was DOA on arrival with the same issue.

The weird part is the not able to even post. I tried both drives on 4 different motherboards (ROG amd but different models) as well as an external Seagate USB enclosure just to rule out bios issues. No go, I’m hesitant to try again with the same model - I got the drives from 2 different sellers (Amazon though) and both validate using Seagate’s warranty checker.

Wu-Zi-Mu

Honorable
Feb 20, 2016
I don't have any >16TB drives but I've read somewhere (can't find it now) that 18TB has just over 2^32 sectors * 4KB, which may cause some kind of overflow issue. Maybe you do need a BIOS update

replaysMike

Honorable
Jan 29, 2016
I don't have any >16TB drives but I've read somewhere (can't find it now) that 18TB has just over 2^32 sectors * 4KB, which may cause some kind of overflow issue. Maybe you do need a BIOS update

I was wondering about this myself, but all my BIOS are up to date. And the first drive was working initially, I copied almost 8GB to it before it stopped being recognized. Seems to me this is likely an issue with their onboard controller, and it’s somehow failing to report its status to the bios causing a lock up. Or perhaps these drives are super sensitive to shock during shipment. Granted, my sample size is 2 but I’m hesitant to order another.