News Seagate: 20TB HDD Production Ramping, Dual-Actuator HDDs Gaining Adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

korekan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
well i think it will cost like $999? as for now 1TB is still at $40 for like a decade?
i notice that 2TB starting to go lower to $50 but that just this year.

i recall a decade ago i bought 1 TB for $40 and then couple weeks later flood in taiwan happened and then boom 1 TB going to $100 and it very slow to return to $40 tag i think it was around 4-6 years before that 1 TB goes that $40 low again.

until more SSD storage introduced and the price of ssd kinda have more value though the capacity is half than HDD.

Oct 25, 2021
well i think it will cost like $999? as for now 1TB is still at $40 for like a decade?

i recall a decade ago i bought 1 TB for $40 and then couple weeks later flood in taiwan happened and then boom 1 TB going to $100 and it very slow to return to $40 tag i think it was around 4-6 years before that 1 TB goes that $40 low again.

until more SSD storage introduced and the price of ssd kinda have more value though the capacity is half than HDD.
I just purchased a 18tb for about USD $380 that's about $21 per TB. why in the world would you purchases a 1tb only hd? If you look for the sweet spot you can get as low as $15 per tb.

korekan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
I just purchased a 18tb for about USD $380 that's about $21 per TB. why in the world would you purchases a 1tb only hd? If you look for the sweet spot you can get as low as $15 per tb.

the thing is we dont have same budget.
i would never compare price if i can afford it just pick the fastest, bigger i can buy
also why 1 TB still exist after 1 decade? i think at the price of 1 TB right now at least it should be 4/6TB

its double actuator the performance might 1.5 times or might reach 2 times than single. for 64MB vs 256MB cache its already have different price tag.

Oct 25, 2021
the thing is we dont have same budget.
i would never compare price if i can afford it just pick the fastest, bigger i can buy
also why 1 TB still exist after 1 decade? i think at the price of 1 TB right now at least it should be 4/6TB

its double actuator the performance might 1.5 times or might reach 2 times than single. for 64MB vs 256MB cache its already have different price tag.
You can find 1tb off newegg for like 15 bucks.

Geef

Distinguished
Now all we need to do is pray to the tech gods and maybe Amazon will accidentally send us a box full of these drives in place of our funny coffee cup order.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019

There is a floor to how cheap a hard drive can be made. The way hard drives drop in price per capacity is by reducing platter count with higher data density platters and thus fewer read/write heads as well. Once you're down to one platter which 1TB drives have been forever as you noted, the price can no longer drop, if anything, it's surprising that inflation and other market conditions haven't made the prices at the bottom go up.

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
There is a floor to how cheap a hard drive can be made. The way hard drives drop in price per capacity is by reducing platter count with higher data density platters and thus fewer read/write heads as well. Once you're down to one platter which 1TB drives have been forever as you noted, the price can no longer drop, if anything, it's surprising that inflation and other market conditions haven't made the prices at the bottom go up.
100% agreed. Adding to this: magnetic drives have so much metal and so many moving parts. There's the actuators (made with quite a bit of precision), the spinning platter, the case for the drives, etc. An SSD, on the other hand, is often a small circuit board with very few chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.