News Seagate: 22TB and 24TB HDDs Launching Soon, 30+TB HAMR Follows in Q3

emike09

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
At least we're seeing HDD's continue to increase in capacity, while SSDs are stagnating at 4TB. Sure there's some 8TB drives out there for a massive premium, but overall, the only thing we're seeing in the SSD world is performance surpassing what the average high-end consumer needs, and we're all sitting here starving for decend SSD capacities that have decent speeds.
PCI-e 5 speeds are insane, but literally 1% of high-end users need those speeds. Give us affordable 8TB+ SSDs that have great PCI-e 4 speeds, at an affordable cost.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
At least we're seeing HDD's continue to increase in capacity, while SSDs are stagnating at 4TB. Sure there's some 8TB drives out there for a massive premium, but overall, the only thing we're seeing in the SSD world is performance surpassing what the average high-end consumer needs, and we're all sitting here starving for decend SSD capacities that have decent speeds.
PCI-e 5 speeds are insane, but literally 1% of high-end users need those speeds. Give us affordable 8TB+ SSDs that have great PCI-e 4 speeds, at an affordable cost.
Also, as SSD's increase bit density, write durability is going down along with it.

Read/Write speeds aren't improving as Bit Density is increasing once you get past the Flash Storage Buffer area.

pointa2b

Prominent
Dec 22, 2022

I think its simply because of a lower demand of larger capacity drives keeping in mind their current $/GB. Theres SSDs out there with tens of terabytes of capacity and quite fast/durable, but they use stuff like u.2 ports, are aimed at enterprise/datacenters, and cost thousands.

As $/GB continues to drop for SSDs, I think it will redefine how consumers view them (not just as a fast relatively lower capacity primary drive).

Fates_Demise

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015

Um... look at enterprise ssds dude. They have ones over 25TB in size.

blitzkrieg316

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013
Um... look at enterprise ssds dude. They have ones over 25TB in size.
For 10 bagillion dollars ya... If a data centre can use 30-50TB for 1/10th the cost it's much more practical, save companies like Google and MS. Hell, a 30TB drive at home covers ALL movies, games, storage, etc. unless you excessively download everything to prove a point and likely watch/use none of it...

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
Spinning rust hasn't kept pace with SSD price drops and speed increases.

Two years ago I got a great deal on a 4TB 5900rpm drive to add to my server for $60. That same drive is now $82. The absolute cheapest I can find is $57 so after two year the spinning rust hasn't dropped a bit in price.

Compare that to SSDs and you know that you are getting ripped off.

The uncompetitive (only three manufacturers globally) HDD market is doing what the GPU market is. Old capacities are keeping their prices years after release and newer higher capacities are pushing prices ever higher.

Fates_Demise

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015

Two years ago I got a great deal on a 4TB 5900rpm drive to add to my server for $60. That same drive is now $82. The absolute cheapest I can find is $57 so after two year the spinning rust hasn't dropped a bit in price.

The uncompetitive (only three manufacturers globally) HDD market is doing what the GPU market is. Old capacities are keeping their prices years after release and newer higher capacities are pushing prices ever higher.

1. hdd companies are cutting production from lower demand which will keep prices up.
  2. your comparing the wrong capacity dude, the drives metal frame is pretty much a set cost that cannot go down in price, so when you look at cheap low capacity drives they are not gonna go down much. For instance you said a 4TB was $60. Doing a fast look online right now I can buy a 12TB enterprise drive for $110. Much better value. So stop looking at the cheapest drives and go compare price per TB across many sizes.
  3. material/labor costs worldwide have spiked also which keeps cost up a but. Ssds have less material overall.

Reactions: bit_user

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
  1. hdd companies are cutting production from lower demand which will keep prices up.
  2. your comparing the wrong capacity dude, the drives metal frame is pretty much a set cost that cannot go down in price, so when you look at cheap low capacity drives they are not gonna go down much. For instance you said a 4TB was $60. Doing a fast look online right now I can buy a 12TB enterprise drive for $110. Much better value. So stop looking at the cheapest drives and go compare price per TB across many sizes.
  3. material/labor costs worldwide have spiked also which keeps cost up a but. Ssds have less material overall.
Where can you buy an enterprise HDDs for under a penny per GB? PCPartsPicker shows the cheapest HDD is still 1.4 cents per GB. The cheapest 12TB available is the Ironwolf for for $190.

The material cost in a HDD (case, connector, board, arms/heads, cache, magnets) is very low. Just a few bucks. The platters add a couple bucks each. That 12TB drive cost maybe $15 to manufacture and package. The cost to manufacture per GB plummets as capacity goes up.

Seriously, if you have a link to a 12TB enterprise drive with warranty for $110 I would love to get it.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
$190 is a good price and represents a significant decline in $/GB. The 12 TB here, when released, was listed at $430.

That the materials cost $15 -- assuming that is true for the sake of argument -- isn't all that useful because a lot goes into product development, labor, and supporting the hard drive, not just the simple cost of materials.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

That's not how it works. Hard drives have a lot of components that are physical or mechanical and don't naturally decrease in price. You'd never expect new cars to decrease in price, year after year, so why should HDDs?

The way HDDs offer better GB/$ over time is by increasing in capacity.

With NAND, the chips are getting ever more dense, meaning that a 4TB drive can be built with fewer of them. That (generally) makes it cheaper over time.

No, that implies somebody is pocketing the difference. If the cost to build 4 TB HDDs isn't decreasing, then nobody is ripping you off. You're just making a sub-optimal decision, and that's on you.

The material cost in a HDD (case, connector, board, arms/heads, cache, magnets) is very low. Just a few bucks. The platters add a couple bucks each.
It's not just the raw materials, but then they have to be processed to high purity and manufactured to exacting specifications.

That 12TB drive cost maybe $15 to manufacture and package.
According to whom?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
$190 is a good price and represents a significant decline in $/GB. The 12 TB here, when released, was listed at $430.
But, I expect a lot of that price decrease is due to having fewer platters of higher density. That means they can save money on both the platters and heads for them.

If @lmcnabney is starting with a drive that has already undergone such cost-optimizations, there's nowhere else for the price to go. Its costs just follow the inflation curve, until it's no longer profitable to manufacture and then disappears from the market.