Seagate 2TB hard drive Sounds Click , Click Click and then NO SOUND

s_iska

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Hi Guys,
I need your help on my Segate 7200 2TB USB 3 desktop internal hard drive. It was my 2nd hard drive on my PC and recently it stopped working with out any physical movement.

I do hear 3 or 4 times of click sound and stops any sound from the drive. MY pc is not recognizing either windows explorer or control panel computer management storage.

If you have any idea, please tell me is it Mechanical failure or CIRCUIT board failure?

If I open this drive to verify mechanical failure, how much risk it is to recover the data?

At the last if you know any recovery services which are reasonable charges, please suggest me . It has some new born baby videos etc.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Solution
Hi there s_iska,

Is this an internal or an external drive? You've stated that it is an internal USB 3.0 drive.

Anyway, sometimes HDD could make clicking sounds as a result of not enough power supplied to them. This is why, it may be a good idea to attach the drive with different cable/cables.

In case the issue persists though, then I believe it is most probably related to the mechanics. It could be a heard crash. You will need to contact a data recovery company. Most of the HDD manufacturers offer their own data recovery services or have some sort of recovery partners. You can check that out.

As the other guys suggested, you should really open up the drive. You will expose the platter to dust contaminated environment.

Cheers...
If the drive is giving click sounds and is not being detected in bios and windows disk management, then it's dead. You can't recover anything from it at home.
Seek help from professional data recovery services. It will not be cheap, several hundred euros minimum.
And under any circumstances do not open the drive. It will make data recovery way harder or impossible even for pros.

Hi there s_iska,

Is this an internal or an external drive? You've stated that it is an internal USB 3.0 drive.

Anyway, sometimes HDD could make clicking sounds as a result of not enough power supplied to them. This is why, it may be a good idea to attach the drive with different cable/cables.

In case the issue persists though, then I believe it is most probably related to the mechanics. It could be a heard crash. You will need to contact a data recovery company. Most of the HDD manufacturers offer their own data recovery services or have some sort of recovery partners. You can check that out.

As the other guys suggested, you should really open up the drive. You will expose the platter to dust contaminated environment.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution