[SOLVED] Seagate 2tb HDD very slow vs much older model.

Colonius

Honorable
Apr 8, 2016
I have a Seagate 2tb spindle hdd a bit under 2 years old. It was noisier than expected from the start, but performed fine. Now, not quite 2y later, there is slow performance in real world as well as very poor crystaldiskmark results vs a much older Seagate 2tb. The newer one is a lower profile (thinner) drive than the old. Both 3.5" so otherwise very similar drives. I am wondering if there is anything on the software side that could cause 2 drives to perform so differently, or if I should return this drive under warranty, if this sounds like a dodgy drive. I never thought of the sounds it makes as a problem, but it's noticeably louder than the old drive and most other I've had. Crystaldiskmark results are attached. Test was default setting, hitting "All" button. D: is the newer drive. Z: the older (about 5y maybe more)
w3e4rw4tg.jpg

Solution
Is there any way to make these perform optimally (for their limits)? Indexing on/off, smart, etc?
SMR drives are usable for archives, backups, user media storage.
Basically it will perform ok, if you write it once and read only afterwards.
Any continuous write workload makes it perform poorly.
I am wondering if there is anything on the software side that could cause 2 drives to perform so differently, or if I should return this drive under warranty, if this sounds like a dodgy drive.
What exact model Seagate drive?
If it's one of newer Barracuda series drives, then those are all SMR.
SMR unfortunately means slower and inconsistent performance - especially when doing any write workload.
After any write neighboring tracks need to be corrected. This is done in background and causes decreased performance.

TLDR
If it actually is SMR drive, then this is normal.

Reactions: rgd1101

Colonius

Honorable
Apr 8, 2016
What exact model Seagate drive?
If it's one of newer Barracuda series drives, then those are all SMR.
SMR unfortunately means slower and inconsistent performance - especially when doing any write workload.
After any write neighboring tracks need to be corrected. This is done in background and causes decreased performance.

TLDR
If it actually is SMR drive, then this is normal.

Thanks so much for this info! I was about to return the thing and retailer didn't suggest anything like this to avoid doing that in vain. It's a ST2000DM008 and is indeed SMR. Crystal disk info says it's all 100%. Well that sucks. Some of those test results are world apart from my older drive haha. Guess I'll shift some things around and work with some of the photo catalogue that's on that drive off SSD instead. It's a fair bit clunkier than working off the older drive :D Is there any way to make these perform optimally (for their limits)? Indexing on/off, smart, etc?