Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drive OVERHEAT?

Iceman81

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
Hi!

While I was using my computer yesterday with my Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drive 3TB, I noticed that the drive smelled like it was burning, so I immediately pulled it out its power adapter from the wall. Upon careful inspection, the base of the drive smelled like it fried its board. I thought that it was just over heating, so I let it cool down for a bit. I tried plugging it back again, but it no longer work. I then checked the hard disk it self, removing it from its enclosure (I no longer have its warranty), the hard disk also smelled like it fried its board.

I am planning to go to a computer technician. Is this kind of damage still repairable?

I am by the way no longer using its original power adapter. I have been using a replacement power adapter from a different brand for more than 2 months now. It has the same input value(100~240V) and output value of 12V, the only difference is the original requires only 2A while the replacement is capable of 6A.

Solution
Hey there Iceman81.

There is a chance that the drive might work, if you change the PCB with the exact same model and if you don't damage the drive in the process. Note that this is not a recommended procedure, but still, some users try it, hoping they'll be able to recover their data. However if you have important data on that drive, your safest and most reliable option would be a data recovery company, although it might be quite costly sometimes.
As for the power adapter, as long as the voltage output is the same, there shouldn't be any problem. I guess if it was the culprit, this should have happened long ago, instead of 2 months after you've started using it.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there Iceman81.

There is a chance that the drive might work, if you change the PCB with the exact same model and if you don't damage the drive in the process. Note that this is not a recommended procedure, but still, some users try it, hoping they'll be able to recover their data. However if you have important data on that drive, your safest and most reliable option would be a data recovery company, although it might be quite costly sometimes.
As for the power adapter, as long as the voltage output is the same, there shouldn't be any problem. I guess if it was the culprit, this should have happened long ago, instead of 2 months after you've started using it.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Solution
@Iceman81, replacing the PCB on a Seagate 3TB will NEVER work, even for two drives that were manufactured one after the other on the same production line in the same factory. That's because each drive has unique, drive specific, "adaptive" information stored in flash memory on the PCB. That is also the case with WD PCBs, although there is a small chance that two WD drives will have similar adaptives.

The following PCB supplier will transfer your adaptives for free:

http://www.hdd-parts.com

Alternatively, if you upload a detailed photo of your PCB, I could help you locate the problem yourself. Often there is a simple, no cost, DIY fix.

See http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/TVS_diode_FAQ.html

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/ST2000DM001_TVS.jpg

TRENDING THREADS