Question Seagate Backup Plus won't import WD external drive

Mar 22, 2022
Hi, I recently bought a 8TB Seagate Backup Plus external drive with data recovery services. It imported/backed up my computer's drives and my two external Seagate drives without problems. But it will not import my two external WD drives. The computer recognizes the WD drives, and they obviously work fine. Even the Seagate external will play the WD drives when they are plugged into the Seagate's USB port, but it will not import them. Can I do anything to import the WD drives to the Seagate drive? If not, any recommendations on a 8TB+ external drive to buy instead? I bought the Seagate from Costco with its wonderful 90 day return policy, so I am still able to return it. TIA....

My first impulse would be continue using the drive.........BUT to discontinue the use of whatever backup software came with it. I assume that's what you are using.

I tend to doubt that its accidental that you are having trouble with WD drives.

There are numerous free software programs that can back up to an external regardless of brand.

No real point in staying with the software included with backup drives, which are typically not the best tool for the purpose.

Mar 22, 2022
The Seagate Backup Plus drive comes with software that will scan your drives and back them up to the Seagate drive. The software calls it 'Importing' the drives. The Seagate Toolkit software will not detect or backup the WD external drives like it does the computer drives AND the two external Seagate drives. What are some good, trusted, and free back up programs to use rather than the Toolkit software? Would I be better of using a regular external drive rather than a Backup Plus drive? Is there even a difference or are they the same thing? I don't need to back up my drives daily, just get all of my music and videos backed up once in a while so I don't lose years of collections. Thanks....

What are some good, trusted, and free back up programs to use rather than the Toolkit software?

Would I be better of using a regular external drive rather than a Backup Plus drive?

Is there even a difference or are they the same thing?

I don't need to back up my drives daily, just get all of my music and videos backed up once in a while so I don't lose years of collections. Thanks....

There are several such applications:

Synchredible

Free File Sync

Syncback free

Karen's Replicator

I've been using Syncback Free without incident for about 5 years.

They all do about the same thing, but the interfaces differ considerably....some are easier to learn.

I've never owned a store-bought external and I see no reason why any wouldn't work, regardless of whether they are marketed as a "backup drive".

Some will have higher quality parts and may be faster than the others.

Consider an SSD external if you can afford it.

I urge you to back up more often than "once in a while". I do it religiously...a couple of times a day as I am acquiring music I don't want to lose daily.

Mar 22, 2022
What are some of the easy, free programs to use and where is a safe site to download them from? Yeah, I have been insane. I have a couple thousand songs and about seven thousand videos scattered across four external and two PC drives that I have been collecting for about ten years. And none of them are backed up. I want to back them up to an 8+ TB external drive, and then back them up to another external drive to keep in storage. I don't know if it is the number of videos on it or if it is the drive itself, but the Seagate is slow. I need space not speed, so I don't think SSD would be a good solution as it would be expensive to store like 10TB on an SSD drive. Any good quality external drives that you like if I am unhappy with the Seagate? Thanks....

What are some of the easy, free programs to use

where is a safe site to download them from?

the Seagate is slow.

Any good quality external drives that you like if I am unhappy with the Seagate?

I'd expect the Seagate to be slow, but wouldn't matter if you rarely use it.

I don't use externals and can't recommend.

I back up 950 GB at least once a day; takes 2 minutes or less. To an internal spinning slowish drive. Including 35,000 mp3s.

What programs? Did you read my post above?????

You would have to decide what's "easy". I might try Karen's if that was my priority.

At karenware.com

Syncback Free is at 2brightsparks.com

Synchredible at

https://www.ascompsoftware.com/index.php?php=prog&prog=synchredible

Free file sync is at Freefilesync.org