Seagate Barracuda

ZachAlex

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Hy guys hope you can help me i have a Seagate Barracuda Hdd 500Gb and i`m trying to instal windows xp or windows 7 on it and when i`m instaling xp it says "cannot acces memory" (i have another hdd of 15 gb witch i have an xp installed on) when i`m trying windows 7 says the same.....i cannot create a partion or format the hdd cuz Xp does not recognize the hdd....:|...sorry for my englesh and hope somebody knows how to solve it....thanks for the beginig

Solution
You should re-check the drive using seatools first. If this throws up lots of errors again, it may be that the drive is dead.

If you don't get errors, then easeus should be fine. Just remember to create the partition(s), AND to format it/them as NTFS using easeus.

davel_68

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

You say you've already got XP installed on a 15Gb drive - if you boot from this, can you see the 500Gb drive? If not, check that it appears in the BIOS, check power to the drive and cable connections. If you can, try formatting the drive from XP as an NTFS volume.

ZachAlex

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

no i con not see the 500 hdd and bios shows me at capacity 0 mb can not format...:-<

davel_68

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I'd suggest that you run the Seagate tools (seatools) on the drive to check that it is all working properly in your system. You can either do this through your XP disk using the manufacturer's distributed toolset (Seatools for Windows):

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

or, if this doesn't work from XP, use the DOS version that you can burn to a CD.

Alternatively, download and burn a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD which has all of the manufacturer's tools on it, plus a whole set of other useful tools:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

ZachAlex

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

thank you for the idea and i`ve allready did that with dos version.....it had 120 errors the seatools fixed them but the hdd is blank and now i`m trying to make a partition with easeus partition manager but it just not succeding...i dont know what is the problem cuz it says partition created with succes and when updating it shows again unallocated space....if you have some ideeas.....i`m opened....anyway thanks for the help..

davel_68

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Ah - this could explain a lot - if there are 120 errors, then the drive has some significant problems. You may find that if you scan it again, you'll find more. (Seatools stops looking after finding a certain number of errors).

There may be another explanation though - when you create partitions there are two parts to this process - the first is to create the partition table, and the second is to format the partition into the type of drive that you wish it to be. Often these are compressed into the one activity, but it does depend on the partition tool that you are using. I'm not sure how easeus works, but from a very quick scan of the product page, it does seem to indicate that it might work in a two-stage way. (You create the primary or extended partitions, and then you format them into the format you need). If you only did the first, then the volume would appear to have no capacity...

ZachAlex

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

so...do you have any sugestions? what shoud i do....do you know another program like easeus witch coud so the job?

davel_68

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
You should re-check the drive using seatools first. If this throws up lots of errors again, it may be that the drive is dead.

If you don't get errors, then easeus should be fine. Just remember to create the partition(s), AND to format it/them as NTFS using easeus.

Solution

ZachAlex

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

ok...thank you for your help,i`ll try work on it sunday cuz tomorow i have the graduating prom and i`m very busy,thank you very much:)

ZachAlex

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

ok so in the end i`ve bought a new hdd a seagate pipeline hd,hope this one wont brak...thanks for all the help i`ll try to fix the old one after exams,i`m to nervous for them to even think about this hdd. Btw this hdd i bought it from an employer that works at a company that produces them....ok the hdd is writen Made in China....and i`m in Romania....