[SOLVED] Seagate bup size question

je1983

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2016
I bought a 4tb Seagate backup plus recently. I already have a 2tb drive from the same brand and series, but I noticed the 4tb was thicker in size compared to it's 2tb counterpart. It's not too big that it looks like a 3.5'' inside, but not quite double the size of the 2tb drive. I'm wondering what makes the larger capacity drive also bigger physically. Are there two 2.5'' drives in there, it doesn't seem like it or maybe it's just the new case. I bought both these within six months or so apart and they are both from the same backup plus series.

Unrelated question: Is it ok to simultaneously transfer files from four different drives? If I transfer drives from A to B at the same time as C to D, for instance, would that be detrimental to the health of the drives?

Solution
Unrelated question: Is it ok to simultaneously transfer files from four different drives? If I transfer drives from A to B at the same time as C to D, for instance, would that be detrimental to the health of the drives?

Hard drives usually start with C, not A or B.

It depends on your configuration, if it's a single disk setup it might take longer to finish.

Hard drives usually start with C, not A or B.

It depends on your configuration, if it's a single disk setup it might take longer to finish.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
  1. Don't use A and B for drive letters. Anything D and above is fine. C is for the OS drive with Windows on it.
  2. Moving data between multiple drives or partitions at the same time is generally not a problem.
  3. Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.

je1983

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2016
Thanks guys. The drive names were just an example. Basically I plan on simultaneously transferring files on four separate drives at the same time (I have four internal and three external drives). I know that transferring multiple files to one drive from two different sources can slow things down and keep temps hotter than normal for longer than usual so I was concerned about that.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks guys. The drive names were just an example. Basically I plan on simultaneously transferring files on four separate drives at the same time (I have four internal and three external drives). I know that transferring multiple files to one drive from two different sources can slow things down and keep temps hotter than normal for longer than usual so I was concerned about that.
Moving data like that is generally NOT a problem.

You may saturate a USB bus, but that just means 'slower', because its trying to do many things at once.

Unless you transport your HDDs regularly out of the house, you'd better use full-size 3.5" desktop HDDs instead of 2.5" HDDs. They spin faster and usually last much longer.

The downside is that 3.5" HDDs require a separate 12V power supply.