Seagate Designs Ultra Mobile HDD for Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Meh, I'm a proponent of sacrificing storage capacity in favour of storage reliability and speed in tablets. I would probably actively avoid an HDD packing tablet. Neat size and capacity, but, its still a mechanical device.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I'm having difficulty deciding whether this is a victory for innovation or a step backward. On one hand, I have a home file server, so the need for large amount of storage on my tablet isn't really strong. On the other, I can see devices that might benefit such as the Surface pro which still comes with a 64GB SSD, which clearly isn't enough. One thing I am worried is that misinformed customers might get the higher capacity model without knowing the trade off and stifle the rate of innovation for SSDs.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I don't think HDDs will be mainstream to tablets. First of all, like what the article said, failures from physical events can be possible, especially when you are playing a game requires tilting like a racing game. I would rather get a wireless external HDD and connect all my devices.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
The drives utilize Seagate's Mobile Enablement Kit, which includes Seagate's Dynamic Data Driver technology to target shock management, heat and vibration gyroscopic motion, and power consumption.

Ok, so I think they are well aware of the hostilities of a tablet, the 8GB of flash will factor into their solution. Possibly the drive could power down except for the flash portion to keep power use down.

High capacity SSD solutions that can come close to this value/price is a long way off.

This hybrid solution sounds great.

reactive

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Oh dear! Can't Seagate understand that mechanical HDDs are the past, not the future? I changed my old laptop's Toshiba HDD for a Samsung 840 SSD, and discovered that for years it has been the HDD *killing* the performance. Few people need vast storage on a tablet, so this is going to be a very niche product - if anyone actually adopts it.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
"This new drive will match the power consumption of a 64 GB tablet and the performance of a 16 GB tablet but will cost less than both."
OK, three problems. Firstly, this sentence makes a newbie think that the hard drive itself takes as much as a 64GB tablet takes by itself with an SSD, so with a Seagate hybrid drive, it would be nearly double the power consumption!
Secondly, a 64GB tablet takes significantly more power than a 16GB tablet? 1 or 2 more flash chips doesn't take much.
Thirdly, Seagate's hybrid drive is as fast as a 16GB tablet, but slower than a 64GB tablet? Ehh ookkay..

Status
Not open for further replies.