Seagate Discontinuing Mobile 7200RPM Drives in 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 5400 rpm(WDC Blue 1tb 2.5 inch) drive for secondary storage(Media) and it works fine for that. In general, I think the trend will be SSDs(with msata, it can fit on anything) and secondary storage for most systems anyway.

This does not come as too much of a surprise to me.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
SSD's haven't made it into any of my pc's or macs because the cost per Tb is still too high. When the cost per TB is equal to or less than HD's, I will seriously look at SSD's. Until then, forget it.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Seagate drives the WORST in the industry. They cost business and consumers millions of dollars every year because their products have sucked so bad. It's one of the main reasons HP is such a horrible brand, because they horrible parts with a 2 year life span.. anything seagate stops making is good for everyone else. If you don't agree with this, then you are clearly un-educated in the matter.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom] I think the trend will be SSDs(with msata, it can fit on anything) and secondary storage for most systems anyway.[/citation]

I agree. The SSD just cant be beat as a primary drive.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]Seagate drives the WORST in the industry. They cost business and consumers millions of dollars every year because their products have sucked so bad. It's one of the main reasons HP is such a horrible brand, because they horrible parts with a 2 year life span.. anything seagate stops making is good for everyone else. If you don't agree with this, then you are clearly un-educated in the matter.[/citation]
My 250GB Seagate drive is humming away happily since 2006 with ZERO problems.

[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]Seagate drives the WORST in the industry. They cost business and consumers millions of dollars every year because their products have sucked so bad. It's one of the main reasons HP is such a horrible brand, because they horrible parts with a 2 year life span.. anything seagate stops making is good for everyone else. If you don't agree with this, then you are clearly un-educated in the matter.[/citation]

While i prefer WD as a brand, should never trust/rely a single device to protect and store your data

Do however agree Seagate drives have a higher failure rate then others on average, i wont buy them personally

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
The SSD part of the hybrid is mostly cache type of system.... So no.

I have several Seagates that are running many years later. I've had all brands of HDs fail.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]SSD's haven't made it into any of my pc's or macs because the cost per Tb is still too high. When the cost per TB is equal to or less than HD's, I will seriously look at SSD's. Until then, forget it.[/citation]Sucks for you. SSDs are not about capacity - not yet. I will continue to rock SSDs in all my machines and enjoy the blistering performance that comes with them. By comparison, machines which lack SSDs feel like they're running on treacle instead of electricity; intolerably slow.

You know, nothing is stopping you from making your old HDD(s) secondary drives, right? That's pretty much standard practice for a desktop tower. If you can't fit more than one drive in a system (i.e. laptops) then use externals/network storage. What do you need so much storage for that can't be achieved with DAS/NAS anyway?

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
OK, so future Momentus XT drives will be 5400RPM instead of the current 7200RPM with some NAND flash?
I doubt that, it's their performance drive. Until they stick a lot more cache on there that can also buffer writes, 7200RPM is needed to maintain decent performance in all situations.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]SSD's haven't made it into any of my pc's or macs because the cost per Tb is still too high. When the cost per TB is equal to or less than HD's, I will seriously look at SSD's. Until then, forget it.[/citation]

and a lotus elise costs more than a toyota corrolla, they both handle the road just fine and the corolla will hold more stuff... but in the performance catagory its nto even a compatition. ssd's are for performance and speed not economy

siman0

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I can see this coming its a given I havent used a 2.5 7200rpm drive for a few years, opting for the hybrid drives.

@ the WD guys
In the last 7 years of my IT carear I have had 7 seagate drives fail 2 due to user abuse, 3 to failed motors, and 1 due to circuit board failure. In contrast I have replaced hundreds if not in the thousands of western digital drives due to failures even a few that have caught on fire (horable day killed the server chasses). I am also not a small time IT player either I work in a data center and I run my own computer bisness on the side. After my experiance with the so called "most reliable brand ever" that everyone tots around I will not own one or use one in my personal computer.

Does this mean they are a bad company, no but its from my experiance. I do still reviews on them they have grate performance and grate drive dencity. Segate's ace though is that hybrid drive which kills the compitiion in watt and performance. I currently have 2 2.5" 7200 750gig SATA III seagate hybrid drives in raid 0 for my storage drive in my gamig rig and 2 250gig samsung 840 pro drives in raid 0 for my primary. My personal storage server also uses 16 3.5" 2TB seagate drives none have failed yet and have worked fine for about 3 years now.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Huh... I would sooner expect them to retire the 5400 rpm HDD's.

This could be the result of them wanting customers to shift focus onto on the SSD's and hybrid drives more...
Hybrids however are not the answer (at least not in their present form).
If hybrids had at least 120GB of flash storage (for OS, installed programs and such) and another 500 to 750GB of regular high speed HDD storage, then they would be viable (but right now they are a far cry from it).

This might drive SSD prices down however, but I'm not holding my breadth.
SSD's have been on the market for years now, and their prices are still not down enough to justify them as a viable purchase (at least not storage-wise).
Other than that, we have abundant supplies of raw resources and technology to make them far larger in storage capacity, and in abundance for each person on the planet (actually we can create far superior methods of data storage and speed in absurdly small form factors, but alas, the market toys in technological obscurity because its profitable)

I find this artificial constriction and market manipulation to be absurd.

d3seeker

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Don't they use 7200 rpm discs in their hybrids -__- So they just aren't selling 2.5" 7200rpm HDDs themselves anymore and in essence diverting that supply to the Hybrid experiments ??

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Despite uninformed persons thumbing him down, he is actually right. Seagate is well known to be selling very unstable drives lately. A few years ago they were best buy, but now, I would never think of buying Seagate over WD.

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I agree with the Segate comment, and go ahead and add Hitatchi to that list as well.

SSD is the way to go, I will personally would never purchase another physically spinning drive ever again. The cost per GB is near $1.25 and steadily dropping. Even though they are costly, the difference is really night and day.

So long HDD, hybrid, glad I never knew you.

hannibal

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]If the next gen Momentus XT will have 32GB or more SSD cache + super cool and quiet 10,000 RPM platter(s), it's fine by me.[/citation]

Maybe the next gen Velocity raptor, but Momentum will have a little bit more conservative specks :)
mechanical 10000 rpm drive is not exactly cheap to produce, but it would be interesting drive with big enough SSD part. For any normal user dist cheap 5400 rpm HD with SSD high enough is much more sensible alternative. It wil be uch faster than normal HD and much cheaper than big SSD.
People in this forum are most propable more interested in from separate boot SSD and BIG storage HD because they offer better performance / cost factor at this moment than integrated solutions, but ofcource that can change...

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
[citation][nom]syrious1[/nom]I agree with the Segate comment, and go ahead and add Hitatchi to that list as well. [/citation]

I can't say you're wrong, but we should be very careful about drawing any firm conclusions in discussions about brand loyalty/reliability. Usually, the people who attest that this-or-that brand is crap are only drawing on their own personal experience. The return rates for Seagate drives overall isn't all that bad:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/881-6/components-returns-rates-7.html

Anyway, if we were to take your statement at face value, the problem becomes that there only about three major players in the market: Seagate recently took over Samsung's HDD division, so any Samsung drive you buy is likely to be a rebranded Seagate. Then there's Hitachi, which is worse than Seagate if you go by the numbers linked above. Then there's Western Digital, which has always been my brand of choice (incidentally), but they've had their share of problematic models too.

The bottom line, as always in these discussions, is that you have a small chance of receiving a dud from any company, good or bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.