Question Seagate External HDD Recovery

Apr 20, 2022
Hello All,

I have a 1TB Seagate External. The power light works and the platter spins. The USB cable is functional. I can see the drive in Disk Management, but there is no data associated when I drill down on it. I've tried to chkdsk etc but the drive slot that it is normally allocated to is not recognized. I tried to run Recuva with no luck as it says, "Unable to determine file system type" from "Harddisk Volume 1"

I'm really hoping that there is a solution where I can recover the data without paying upwards of the 1k I was quoted with no guarantee. A humble thank you for suggestions/solutions.

Apr 20, 2022
Is there any chance that the drive was either disconnected or shut down while writing data?
You may also want to run the Seagate drive test tool Seatools for Windows.
I ran the Seagate tool some time ago. There was nothing of value to be gained from the result. Forgive me for not remembering exactly what it said. The computer, not the drive froze as I was dragging files from the folder to the desktop. That is what I remember about that.

ALas, often drive failures will /can cause a computer to hard freeze...; as it froze during an actual copy/storage operation, it's possible the drive's failure was the cause of the freeze then.

If the data is worth $300 to you, I'd consult with:

Last edited:
If you can't retrieve a SMART report, then this would suggest that the drive has physical problems, ie bad head(s) or media. That's because the SMART data live in a reserved System Area on the platters.

Alternatively, it could be that the drive goes offline when it bogs down in the bad patches. In any case, it would be far better to remove the drive from its enclosure and attach it directly to a SATA port inside your computer. If it then comes online, you could try to clone it with HDDSuperClone or ddrescue. HDDSuperClone has a Live CD and a GUI.