Seagate Freeagent desk 500gb

cloudstrife465

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
i want to know why my harddrive is making this buzzing noise when i plug in the ac adapter i had to buy a new one but i feel like the drive is trying to boot up but its not booting its like buzzing and repeats

heinzvilem

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
I am not really able to properly understand what are you asking/what situation looks like and what is problem - like it does not work at all? Please try to rephrase it, maybe I can help you then.

cloudstrife465

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
\

basicly yeh it wont boot up when i plugin the ac adaptor just has this buzzing noise like its trying to boot up and it just repeats and this drive has alot of my files i need

heinzvilem

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017

So it is USB Disk from which you boot. Still you should see some BIOS message something like push DEL or F<number> to go to BIOS. Maybe it would help to go there and check if the BIOS sees the disk in BOOT OPTIONS. Other idea is to connect it to some other device and try to either boot from that disk or boot that other device and connect this disk as data drive (just like you would connect flash drive) to see if the disk shows up or no. I think that could be the case, you would then be able to pull those files somewhere else and then you would be able either to reformat or do something else with it.

cloudstrife465

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

well i havent even plugged it into the computer im saying that when i plug the ac adapter in the wall outlet and into the drive it self is when it does it cuz my old adapter broke so i had to buy a new one

heinzvilem

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
Like always I would like to distance of any responsibility for advises I give but here is what I would do.

So you only though that it tries to boot when in AC and not connected to PC? Okay well look I would ignore the buzzing if its not a big issue (like loud and makes you go crazy about it) and just try if it actually works. Trying it out should not make things any worse if there is not like some smoke or you hear some electricity noise, it should not hurt PC you would connect it to.

Just don't leave it plugged in when going outside or something like that if there was some hidden problem, so you won't burn out, try to backup files somewhere else and if it works I would use it.

If you are worried tho, you can still backup and make a complaint to supplier to switch it for new if you still have warranty.

I hope I understood correctly my English is not top-notch and yours seems to have same problem so maybe we are misunderstanding each other atm. :D

GL

heinzvilem

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
If so there still might be a way to save data. You can try some service who do data recovery and sometimes they work that they will charge you only if they were successful. But if they would be successful it may be expensive.

What is the model of this external drive? Did you get the correct replacement power adapter for it? If it's out of warranty you can remove the drive from the case and install it directly in a desktop computer to see if it works then.

heinzvilem

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
Good for you then. Just make sure you know the price of it before agreeing (and its good if the service offers no data = no payment policy). The price tag of these operations can sometimes get pretty hefty.

cloudstrife465

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

i have a friend who does this all the time at a school he told me to purchase a blacx docking station by thermaltake so i should be receiving that today

heinzvilem

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017

Nice, well good luck :)

TRENDING THREADS