Seagate GoFlex Desk Disconnects at Strange Times???

yourender

Honorable
Aug 26, 2015
Okay so I have a Seagate GoFlex Desk 2TB and at first I had a bad cable so if you nudged it wrong it would disconnect, but no I have been having different problems. A few days ago it was just disconnecting and reconnecting very randomly. Fixed that somehow, now it's disconnecting every time I turn off my PC and I have to reconnect it. Normally this would not be an issue as I would just reconnect it and be on my merry way, but I want to install games onto the HDD but every time that it disconnects Steam decides not to want to recognize any games on the HDD. I tried launching games that were moved over using Steam Mover hoping that the fact that the computer thinking the game was still in C:\ it would work, but nope. I tried reformatting it but again, nope. Any help would be appreciated,

God bless!!

Solution
Hi there yourender,

My suggestion would be to back up all the important data stored on the drive.
After that, you can troubleshoot the drive:
- Use a different USB cable.
- Attach it to the ports on the back of the case. They are directly attached to the MOBO. That way you will rule out a possible front panel problem.
- Try the drive on another computer and see if the issue persists. In case it does, there is something wrong with the enclosure or the drive itself. In that case, it would be best if you just RMA the drive in case it is under warranty.
- Test the drive with a testing tool that can provide a SMART report: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)
Hi there yourender,

My suggestion would be to back up all the important data stored on the drive.
After that, you can troubleshoot the drive:
- Use a different USB cable.
- Attach it to the ports on the back of the case. They are directly attached to the MOBO. That way you will rule out a possible front panel problem.
- Try the drive on another computer and see if the issue persists. In case it does, there is something wrong with the enclosure or the drive itself. In that case, it would be best if you just RMA the drive in case it is under warranty.
- Test the drive with a testing tool that can provide a SMART report: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution