Seagate Innov8 8TB External HDD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
So, if this get the power from the Type-C port, then I guess using a Type-A to Type-C cable won't do the trick...

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
The problem of powering through USB is that loses compatibilty with legacy USB. For that price, (8TB, with huge SSDs knocking at the door at affordable prices, is "mainstream") USB type C should not serve as a cutting corner, and an USB 2.0 adapter cable with the proper power supply should be included in the package...

GMcC-UK

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
I bought 2 of these to use with my MSI X-99A SLI MB. Total disaster. They won't work/boot when connected using the USB 3.1 ports using an A to C cable - they just show a red LED. So I bought a 2 port USB C PCI card. When connected to the 2 USB C ports on the card, only one drive will work at a time, and only when connected after the PC boots. If both are connected the PC hangs at POST. There are definitely power issues with these drives.

GMcC-UK

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
I bought 2 of these to use with my MSI X-99A SLI MB. Total disaster. They won't work/boot when connected using the USB 3.1 ports using an A to C cable - they just show a red LED. So I bought a 2 port USB C PCI card. When connected to the 2 USB C ports on the card, only one drive will work at a time, and only when connected after the PC boots. If both are connected the PC hangs at POST. There are definitely power issues with these drives. Be careful if you are thinking of purchasing.

hannibal

Distinguished
Ofcourse They don't because They need highpower USB port, not the one that has older power specks.
But ofcourse that has it own problems. You have to have very new Computer to run this device.

nutjob2

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015

That's what happens when you don't know what you're doing. USB 3.1/C provides higher levels of power than other versions. Always check the specifications before buying an unfamiliar standard if you don't want to end up in this situation.

HERETIC-1

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Hi Chris,
"Seagate nestled a 5,400-RPM ST8000AS0002 8TB HDD"
Thought all slow Seagate's were 5,900 RPM...............
Do you think SMR is the reason for the lousy small file performance?????????

DotNetMaster777

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
I have read somewhere this hard has poor sustained write performance. However, there is not many compatible host devices on the market currently, so it is complicated to compare ...............................

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I don't think this is a good use as backup drive. The capacity is overkill to backup a single system unless one requires multiple versions of an imaged PC and its files.

The 8TB disk which is SMR has good use in a NAS device.

spoin0815

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
Why not using like super capacitors for buffering the current needed to spin the drive? Batteries can die..

Apart from that there are much better alternatives available. I recently bought three WD My Book 8 TB for 250 Euro each (should be around the same in Dollar) and they are smashing those Seagate SMR-Drives performance-wise and are even cheaper! Inside the case there are drives technically identical to HGST He8 but with reduced spindle speed of 5400 rpm. Also marketed as WD Red and WD Purple.

The drives use less power in idle and access because of the Helium and therefore they stay pretty cool and also very silent in idle. Performance is great, sequential transfer starting at ~193 MB/Sec. going down to like 95 MB/Sec. at the end. I have put all three of them in my Desktop and filled those empty My Book cases with old 2 TB Samsung 5400 rpm and Hitachi 7200 rpm drives i took out of my System after 6 years.

I guess i will never get warm with Seagate. The only Seagate drive i have is a external 2,5" USB3 HDD and its SMART Values (something with Calibration Retry Count) goes up like hell and the drive is clicking a lot in idle, even i didnt use it much at all.

Hitachi / HGST all the way for me, never failed me, exept those famous IBM / Hitachi "Deathstars DTLA-307030" with that very distinctive sound from Data-loosing-Hell. :D

Greetings from Germany
Thomas

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
neat looking drive.

I wonder how many returns and dis-satisfied customers they are going to have because people dont have a newer USB type-C connector in their PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.