Question Seagate Internal drive failing to start after taking cover off

Dec 29, 2022
Hi, I have a Seagate 7200.12 Barracuda 1TB internal hard drive.
It had been making the clicking noise that I'm sure most of you will have heard of before, especially from this make of drive. As the information on the disk was not critical I decided to follow one of the countless number of YouTube videos that show you how to take the cover off and move the head. The head did indeed seem to be stuck on the platter. I managed to free it and move it back to its starting position. Then I put the cover back on but now it seems that after connecting the drive back up to the computer it is failing to start or spin. Have I missed something? Could removing the cover do something to stop it from powering up again. Is there something I can do to get it spinning again?

Thanks in advance
Matt

Image of drive

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It's hard to say. The tolerances are extremely small, so it's likely something you did, either not moving the head properly or damaging something else.

This has no value other than as a learning exercise; even if it was working, given the microscopic particles on the heads now -- there's a reason professionals will only open up drives in clean room environments -- in addition to your manual adjustments, this drive could never be trusted again anyway.

Reactions: falcon291

USAFRet

Titan
The drive seems to look okay on inspection, there are no marks on it
Unless you have electron microscopes for eyeballs....you can't tell.

The head clearance is on the order of nanometers.
hgMZDtm.png

If the drive was originally spinning, then the heads were not stuck to the platters. AIUI, your model has no load/unload ramp, so the heads are designed to park on a rough, laser etched landing zone on the platters. It seems that you have now manually parked the heads in a smooth data area and actually created a stiction problem rather than solving one.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022
If the drive was originally spinning, then the heads were not stuck to the platters. AIUI, your model has no load/unload ramp, so the heads are designed to park on a rough, laser etched landing zone on the platters. It seems that you have now manually parked the heads in a smooth data area and actually created a stiction problem rather than solving one.

Any ideas how to move forward?

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
That initial click sounds to me like the "Click of Death" where the hard drive head died and can't find any readable sectors, so it goes back and forth perpetually in search of something to read. At that point, it's probably dead already.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It is not hindsight, it is common knowledge, What you tried was the last measure that could be taken.
No. Not Common Knowledge. Common Sense. It's akin to looking at the receipt after a purchase, it's just good practice.

I've never been a fan of head parking, in any brand hdd, to me that's as useful as shutting down a diesel engine and restarting it, I don't see it as prolonging the lifespan, but a detriment to a long lifespan, apart from having extra stuff inside that can go wrong.