Seagate Intros 4 TB NAS-Oriented HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctmk

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Already have WD red running 24/7 nicely and quietly, what's so special about seagate anyway? what is the platter size?

Noise/Power/Heat. Those are things not many users want as NAS enclosures tend to be somewhat cramped(not all are, but yeah) compared to a desktop case.

Generally network storage works well enough even with slightly higher access times.

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Stand alone NAS boxes always seemed rather silly to me. They serve a purpose sure, but I can just build a small computer and fill it with drives for the price that some NAS manufacturers are charging just for the enclosure.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I'm not big on those NAS boxes either. Just went around a few times on Anandtech on their latest Synology review. Not bashing it just points and something big they missed about it in the review. Anyhow;

I actually have 3 STBD4000400 (retail version) and 5 ST4000DM000 (OEM version) to build my next array. Waiting on the card. I have the system already and just need to pick my controller card and I'm done. Been using one to test initial performance as my FRAPS drive, etc. and actually it's a lot FASTER then the WD drives I've been using. It does take a bit to spin up but as long as it has a fan on it, I did a full 4TB transfer to it and it didn't heat up. Without a fan ya they get a bit warm but most cases today have fans over the HDD area making that a non-issue.

I've not been happy with these 'Reds' at all. And generally avoid Seagate by name. But something made me try these this time. Time will tell obviously but so far they are performing well. Although the DOA rates are really poor. Although much of that is NewEgg's OEM shipment methods.

I use my media center for network storage(basic shared drive and a backup external) :)

It is already on anyway.

majorlag

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
By the way, these are just the Seagate 5900 rpm green drives that they conveniently discontinued, late last year, just to reintroduce them as NAS drives with a higher sticker price.

~Majorlag

Touko

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
If these Seagate NAS drives really are just a more pricey re-introduction of the just discontinued green drives, that would be typical Seagate in best form...

But is this true? Are they spec for spec identical?

Status
Not open for further replies.