Seagate May Buy Samsung HDD Unit

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]Seagate before maxtor wasn't bad, they just weren't very present in the cheap pc segment. They were premium drives sort of. But after maxtor they've changed their philosophy away from quality in favor of quantity. Most drives that break aren't being replaced, as shipping costs are too high for a low capacity drive, so a bad drive just means another drive sold. and yes the 500gb wd drives aren't good. I've had to send in 7 or 8 of those drives over a 3 year period before replacing all the small drives with 4 2tb ones last year.[/citation]
It could have been faulty from the start..

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Hitachi makes the best laptop harddrives, with fastest iops, though slower burst speeds,
And western digital has the fastest burst speeds, but slower iops.

If they become one, we can forget about the best laptop harddrives ever created, and will probably need to buy sub par harddrives that only suit teenage gamers who only want to show off how fast a 4GB movie can be copied, and don't care about OS booting times or anything like that!

This sucks!

I would have expected Hitachi to stay in business, especially since they do have the best harddrives for business laptops, and even home theaters!

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I had a mid-30s GB WD Raptor last me about 7 years- it only failed when I tried to install Windows 7 on it :). WD is really the only brand I am confident in. Currently I run 2 WD Blacks in RAID 0.

G

"Don't pollute Samsung with your evil ways of HDD failure"

i work on computers all day every day and samsung/toshiba/hitachi are the 3 brands that have the highest failure rates. I hear samsung makes real nice enterprise class drives but their consumer grade drives are garbage.

f-14

Distinguished
meh HDD drives are a dying technology. 5-10 years from now i will be surprised if they exists at all any more. SSD's are faster and speed is the key. until a hdd can double it's read write speeds it's falling out of favor much like the floppy disk did.
it will be a shame to see samsung go, unless seagate plans to drop their production style and use samsung's instead which would be an excellent move. perhaps too little to late?

Status
Not open for further replies.