Seagate NAS 220- CreateVolume failed

pbman1953

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
Before I write out my issue my drive was working fine but had one bad drive, it kept clicking so I bought a new Toshiba 1 TB HD. Microcenter told me that I didn't need a Seagate so I took a chance.

Recently I bought a new SSD,and reinstalled Win 10 in my computer. The computer works fine but the Nas can't be configured no matter what I do. The computer sees the drive but I can't set up volumes and if I try to map it it a pop up comes up saying that the network name cannot be found. Typically when you bring up the Black Armor software you'd see 3 folders- Public, Download and Wiki. These folders have not come up yet. I've tried installing, the Black Armor software, on another network computer with the same results. I've tried re-sets , also with no positive results.
The Toshiba was not plugged until after I finished the new Win install on the new SSD. I bought the SSD and the Toshiba at the same time.
When I go into the main software , I get in ok and in the storage area shows both drives are listed as good. The only thing I can't do is set volumes or map it.

Setting volumes gets a CreateVolume failed and mapping gets a network name error.

I appreciate any help.
Thanks
Rich

Solution
I just off the phone with Seagate tech support. They gave the update that my unit will not work with Win 10 Anniversary. I'm 3 years out of warranty so I'm SOL on my Nas 220. I can take the drives and install them in my desktop. Possibly I'll return the one I just bought and install the working 1 TB in my desktop. Or take the return money and buy another Nas of some kind. I have choices.

Thanks for all your help!!!
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @Rich!

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you, but is this new HDD a replacement in your computer or in the NAS? The OP is pretty confusing, so I'm not sure what troubleshooting steps to suggest to you.
If it's the NAS, I'm afraid that your replacement HDD might not be compatible with this particular NAS model! :( I'd advise you check your NAS drive compatibility list from the manufacturer's official website. You are most probably unable to create the RAID volume due to this incompatibility. Besides, whenever you create a RAID configuration, it's highly recommended to use identical hard drives. Otherwise, you risk downgrading their performance and limiting their capabilities to the slowest or the smallest drive.

If this new HDD is inside your PC, then you should check how it appears in Disk Management in Windows. Posting some screenshots would be really helpful!

If there are issues with the setup of your NAS in Windows 10, then it's possible that the problem is coming from the Windows Update itself. You should definitely try re-installing the NAS software and the NAS itself as a device from Device manager, to see if that will help you re-map the system in Windows afterwards.

Keep me posted with the details!
SuperSoph_WD

pbman1953

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

pbman1953

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
Let me clarify.

The replaced drive is for the Nas 220 not for my desktop. You could be right about the compatibility of the new Toshiba 1 Tb with the Nas. But, when I go into the software and then into System storage, both drives list as "good". I've have re-installed the software a few times, both from the CD and online downloads. I've even tried making it go by removing the Toshiba and try only the Seagate stock drive and still no luck.

Thanks for helping!

Hey there again, @pbman1953!

Even if the dashboard recognizes all the HDDs as healthy & 'good', you could still be encountering some compatibility issues with this replacement drive in particular. I'd strongly recommend contacting the NAS manufacturer's customer support for assistance and ask them if it could work. What kind of volume are you trying to create on the NAS? Is it RAID or JBOD?
You should also backup anything important that you might still have access to and make sure you have the latest firmware update for the NAS. You should also check if restoring it back to factory defaults would work. Refer to your NAS manufacturer's official website for any support KB articles on how to perform these troubleshooting steps.

Let me know how it goes! :)
SuperSoph_WD

pbman1953

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

pbman1953

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
I could try call Seagate but their support is not too friendly ands they don't seem to have a forum. That's why I searched and found this one. As far as factory specs there's reset button on the back of the unit and I did that too. Please keep in mind that I even tried it with one Seagate stock drive. I was trying to set up volumes as Raid 0.

What is the storage capacity & RPM of the other HDD inside the NAS, @pbman1953?
You should be able to find the Support tab, once you Google you NAS product. There you should be able to see more troubleshooting articles and the knowledge base regarding issues with this particular NAS. You could just contact their support for more details about the hard drive compatibility of this particular NAS and see if you could just simply try using another one. You mentioned that it fails to create a volume with just the stock drive inside. However, creating RAID 0 requires you to have at least two physical HDDs, preferably with equal capacity & performance capabilities.

SuperSoph_WD

pbman1953

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

pbman1953

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
I was told a long time ago that the drive would work with one drive. As far as Seagate support, it's not user friendly adn very general. There isn't a forum that I could find.

Both drives are1 TB & 7200 rpm.

I guess I'll have to keep digging or just go buy a Western D. I know people with them and have never had any problems close to what I have.

I think that it has more to do with your NAS box, than with the HDD itself, @Rich! :/ Google your NAS model and check for compatibility issues with it. You might actually find some useful information.
Either way, if you plan to buy a WD internal HDD for a NAS/RAID environment, you should definitely consider the WD Red hard drives. They are specifically designed for such systems and are able to withstand the 24/7, always-on environment. You can read how these drives are different than regular desktop ones in the link above. However, when you open the compatibility tab in the WD Red product page, you can see if it's compatible with the NAS you already own. Unfortunately, I couldn't find your product there, but you can take a look for yourself. :(

Either way, hope this was helpful.
Let me know if you have more questions.
SuperSoph_WD

pbman1953

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

pbman1953

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
I should clarify again about buying a WD. If I buy it would be a whole new Net drive but a WD product. I did the search for compatibility and of course all that cam up , was from Seagate to use a Seagate drive. I did a search for some that were well over $100 and there were some at $50, which I paid for the Toshiba. I trashed the Toshiba, so I own that now and if all fails I'll install that in my PC. But on a side note, because I've seen this drive selection issue asked in other discussions on this forum, that a drive is a drive and shouldn't matter.

Hey there again, @pbman1953!

Well, I think that it has more to do with the NAS system's firmware. Usually, the models from the compatibility lists are included in the firmware and should be read without any issues. Most manufacturers would use the same brand's HDD models because they are able to test them & make sure they work before they actually compose the NAS compatibility list. However, they can't really vouch for other off-the-shelf HDDs.

Let me know if you have more questions, though.
Cheers,
SuperSoph_WD

pbman1953

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

pbman1953

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
I went back to Microcenter and exchanged the Toshiba with a drive off the Seagate Nas compatibility list. Installed it, factory reset with the paperclip. In the end no change. I think it's either the board or probably firmware related. I may try a firmware re-burn.

In this case, @pbman1953, I'd strongly recommend you reconsider contacting the manufacturer's support. They should be able to provide you with a replacement if the enclosure has failed and it's still covered by the warranty. It could also be the SATA connector itself, if it's not the firmware.

Best of luck! Hope I was helpful, though.
SuperSoph_WD

pbman1953

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

pbman1953

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
I just off the phone with Seagate tech support. They gave the update that my unit will not work with Win 10 Anniversary. I'm 3 years out of warranty so I'm SOL on my Nas 220. I can take the drives and install them in my desktop. Possibly I'll return the one I just bought and install the working 1 TB in my desktop. Or take the return money and buy another Nas of some kind. I have choices.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Solution
I'm glad that you finally got to the bottom of this, @ pbman1953! :)
I'd strongly recommend you always make sure you backup your files to several locations to avoid any potential data loss.

In case you have further questions or concerns regarding your storage configuration, make sure you get back to the community to let us know.

Best of luck & take care! :)
SuperSoph_WD